25

Jennifer was lying on the beige couch, hand behind her head and feet dangling in the air. Surprisingly, she felt normal and protected even though Theo wasn't at home. But he'll arrive soon, he informed her at breakfast.

When he had left, she spent the day cleaning his home. It's the least she could have done for him. No one simply accepts a stranger into their homes nowadays but Theo did because he understood her and can share what she felt. She did everything she can for him and even made dinner from what she had found in the fridge and cupboards. Being a single man, he sure had ingredients stocked for a family of five.

Maybe he liked cooking and he's pretty good at it too because last night's dinner and this morning's waffles with strawberries and blue berries tasted heavenly.

"I'm home," he said pushing the door closed.

Jennifer immediately stood up and adjusted her thin sweater. The sight of him enlivened her. They smiled at each other as he took his coat off and hanged it at the rack.

"How was your day?" He asked, sauntering in the living room and taking a seat on the couch.

Good

"Just good? You felt a little bored, didn't you?"

Only a little

Theo sat down on the couch and untied the laces of his shoes. "You know you can go rest a little, I'll take a shower and I'll get down to dinner. I can make something tasty real quickly."

No need, I already made dinner.

"What?"

I know you'll be tired from work and I was already bored so I decided to cook. I made creamy shrimp spaghetti. I'm not a great cook but I do hope you'll like it.

Theo was completely taken aback. He stared into her greyish blue eyes not knowing what to say until a little thank you left his lips.

You're welcome.

Whilst he was showering, Jennifer set the table. She made sure everything looked clean and presentable enough like he did for her. She couldn't stop thinking about his kindness. What did she ever do to have received an angel like him at the most desperate time of her life?

Taking a book whose cover was fading, Jennifer flipped the page, reading until Theo arrived in a dark blue sweater and white casual pants.

"Wow, this is so good," he complimented with his mouth full of food.

Thank you

Theo talked to her about his day, the birthday celebration of a deaf boy and a wife coming to school yelling to her husband about cheating on her. It was hilarious. The children laughed more than the adults. Jennifer listened to him attentively, smiled and laughed; two things that she hadn't done in ages.

"I called the agent but his secretary picked up. She said that he is in Canada for a relative's wedding. He'll be back in a week and we might get their address."

I was thinking what if they don't accept to help me. Will you help me?

"Jennifer you are most welcomed to stay here no matter how long. You're not a problem for me and if I help someone like you, I'll feel great. You don't have to rush. Be patient and let everything fall into place like it's supposed to."

She offered him a smile and continued eating. Respect for him increased in her heart.

The doorbell rang, turning their eyes towards the living room. It rang non-stop, causing the duo to put their forks down and stood up.

"It must be my neighbor. She must have run out of sugar or eggs once again. COMING."

Jennifer didn't follow him and listened.

"Who are you? Hey, where are you going? You cannot barge into my home," Theo shouted at the stranger but Jennifer's eyes nearly fell when she noticed Veronica dashing towards her and wrapped her arms around her body.

"I'm so glad you're fine," she said, eyes full of tears as she placed a kiss on her forehead. Jennifer could only stare at her in awe. Looking behind, she saw Chase standing along with a confused and a little intimidated Theo.

"Alex knows that Jacqueline is behind everything, she is the reason Liam is dead. He also knows that she is dead. But he wants to take revenge from you."

Jennifer's heart beats quickened. Her sister has been right all along. No matter how low Liam can stoop, Alexander will still be on his brother's side.

"He also found out that Chase and I helped you. You can't stay here; we have to be on the move. Everyone," Veronica said turning to Theo. "Tell your family to start packing, we need to leave."

One eye contact with Jennifer was enough to get rid of the misunderstanding.

"If you are talking about Emma's family then they are not here. I bought the house from them."

"Oh, I didn't know but thank you for still taking care of Jennifer." She smiled at him and placed a hand on Jennifer's cheek, "Pack your things; we need to leave right now."

Even though Veronica and Chase have been nice to her and helped her, she didn't want to leave with them. She felt safe with Theo even though she hasn't known him for long. Just when she thought maybe life could be easy a little, a new problem had to crop up.

"Where will you be going?" Theo asked.

"I don't know but we have to be on the move for the forthcoming days. Alex will stop at nothing until he gets what he wants."

"Can't you go to the cops?" He asked, making Veronica roll her eyes. It's obvious but Theo didn't know Alexander like they did.

"Listen boy," Chase interrupted, his tall height towering Theo. "Alexander Reeves isn't the man you betray but Veronica and I did it for that mute girl's sake. We are not powerful like him but we'll do whatever we can to protect her from his madness. For most of the world, he is the owner of Reeves Club but only a few know how powerful he is in the underworld."

"In that case, I want to help too," Theo stated.

Theo no. Don't be crazy. I don't want you getting hurt because of me.

"I am coming with you Jennifer. If Emma's family was here, they would have protected you from him but they aren't. It's me. Maybe it was fated, I don't know but I'm not abandoning you."

Don't be stupid. He is extremely dangerous.

"I don't care. I will fulfill what your sister has asked whether you accept it or not."

"Do you understand what she is saying?" Veronica asked, looking at the two of them in awe.

"Yes. I'm an ASL teacher."

"That's perfect. Then you should definitely come with us."

Jennifer knew that now she cannot persuade him. But the fact that he is ready to go any length to fulfill what an unknown girl has written in her last letter warmed her heart. After all once you get attracted to someone, you find beauty in everything they do.

Theo was attracted to her.