13

Once Jennifer has done drying her hair, she combed it and tied in a high ponytail. She liked looking simple unlike Jacqueline who sometimes dyes her hair blue, green, pink or any fluorescent color.

While going downstairs for breakfast, she spotted the mailman standing at the door step with a huge bouquet of gorgeous red flowers. She walked towards him, signed the paper and took the flowers from him.

"Who is it from?" Alexander's deep voice startled her suddenly. She shrugged her shoulder and handed him the bouquet.

Alexander removed the small note and opened it. "To the girl of my life, love Liam."

They were both shocked because they had thought Liam had given up his obsession since they haven't heard from him for weeks. Jennifer and Jacqueline had been living a peaceful life at Alexander's mansion; he took great care of them.

"William," Alexander's voice boomed in the living room and at once William appeared.

"Burn this bouquet right now."

He placed his hands on Jennifer's shoulders and ducked a little to have an eye contact. "I promise you, I'll keep you safe."

"Don't you think you are failing your promises Mr. Reeves, each time you say the same thing and each time, Liam plays a move before you."

Jacqueline started to doubt Alexander's intentions now. He had been good to them till now but he can't play the role of a protector forever. Alexander didn't say a word and watched both sisters leave for work. For the past few weeks, Jennifer was working there too under Veronica's supervision.

"What are you doing Alex?" She asked once the car was out of sight.

"What do you mean?"

Veronica rolled her eyes and approached him until she was close enough to have a formal conversation.

"You're playing with their feelings; you know Liam will acquire what he wants and if you have to choose between your blood and those girls, you will always choose Liam."

Not being able to contain his anger, Alexander walked towards the wall and punched it hard.

"ALEX, stop it."

"Then what am I supposed to do, I feel attracted towards Jennifer but she's a minor just like Emma was, her every action reminds me of her and this time I'm fully aware that she can't be mine. This is wrong, I shouldn't be having feelings for a sixteen year old for God sake but because of Liam's cruelty, I'm forced to protect her and care for her like..."

"Like an elder brother Alex, not like a lover. Don't mistake this mere attraction for something like love, you are only looking out for her because you don't want her to face the same fate like Emma."

"I'm confused," he muttered under his breath.

Splashing some cold water on his face to calm himself after Liam's heinous act, he grabbed his office bag and handed it to Veronica. They both then set towards Reeves Club.

"Chase is calling you," Veronica said while Alexander was driving to his office. He nodded at her to take the call. However her body language and facial expression revealed that something is terribly wrong.

"What is it?"

"Some people have created a riot at your club, they have beaten up the two security guards who were present and are breaking almost everything, Chase isn't able to do anything as there are some people stuck inside and they are even firing."

His mind went only to one person, Jennifer.

Softly splashing water droplets hit the car windows as he drove on wards as fast as he can with his Lamborghini. After breaking four lights and almost colliding with a truck and two cars, he managed to reach the club.

Who could have dared to mess with him during broad day lights?

Alexander slammed the car door shut as he and Veronica made their way through the group of people who were watching free dramas in front of his club. The state of inside was deplorable, broken tables, chairs, blood splashed on the wall, disco balls had fallen on the dance floor and some people lying down on the floor as a bulky bald man was pacing around with a rifle in his hand.

"Finally you arrived," he said with a huge grin to Alexander, revealing his dirty yellow teeth.

"Who the fuck are you?"

"We are Liam's messengers and we have come to inform you to not take him for granted, he's strong enough to compete against you Alexander Reeves and that little kitten will belong to him soon."

Alexander grabbed his collar tightly ignoring all the guns pointed at him.

"Where is she?"

"Safe for now."

He let go of him and they all exited his club except for the employees. He ran up the stairs as the elevator was out of function and found Jennifer and Jacqueline sitting inside his office except for Jacqueline was pressing a towel on her forehead.

"I'm so sorry Jacqueline, how did that happen?" He kneeled in front of her and grabbed the towel for her while wiping the blood slowly.

"One of those men aimed a bottle at Jennifer; I rescued her in the nick of time."

Jennifer was standing against the wall while playing with her fingers nervously. Alexander felt relieved to know that at least she wasn't hurt.

"Who are those people?" Jacqueline asked but he found himself dumbfounded. How is he supposed to tell her that his brother have sent some goons to destroy the prevailing peace in their lives?

"Liam has sent them," Veronica said making Alexander glared at her angrily as Liam is a touchy topic for these two sisters.

Alexander has understood Jacqueline in the past few weeks as she's like an open book and as expected she stood up and threw the towel irritably on the floor, switching to a sarcastic mood.

"Oh, so in the morning he sent my sister flowers and in the afternoon, he sent people to try to hurt her, your brother is becoming unstable day by day Mr. Reeves and you, apart from blank promises, you aren't capable of doing anything else."

Veronica butted in at once.

"Shut up Jacqueline, Alex cares for you and Jennifer but this time it's his brother, if it was someone else that person would have either been in jail or buried six feet underneath."

"It makes sense to me; family comes first no matter how rotten they can be."

Alexander listened attentively to these two girls arguing and observed Jennifer's attitude as well. She was clearly scared by what was occurring in front of her eyes.

"Stop it both of you, let's just go underground, Liam will never know."

"What do you mean underground, like living under the ground, in some cave?"

Veronica let out a chuckle as Alexander bit his lip to prevent himself from laughing at Jacqueline's innocent question.

"No you silly, he meant like a vacation somewhere far from New York until Alex can come at a final conclusion regarding Liam, it will buy him some time."

They all agreed while Jennifer smiled at him,her way of expressing gratitude.