Be Back - Armin Arlert x Reader

This one shot is about Armin Arlert from Attack on Titan which of course I didn't own. I hope you'll enjoy this.

-You have been brave to join the survey corps- A soldier was saying. Yeah.... Brave, me? I joined because I wanted to be with my friends, I'm so scared... I don't want to see them die, but I it would be even worste if everytime they go outside the walls I would never know if they'd be back or not. And my life would break if some day a soldier would come to my house saying that my friends died. I prefer to be beside them -Especially you, who have seen what hell is like we are all proud to have you here. But for the first mission we won't need all of you with us. A few of you will stay here, maybe training in the while-

I wasn't expectinf something like that. My heart started slowing and calming down but this last just a few seconds, I joined the survey corps to stay beside my friends, I had just thought about it, I didn't want to be left behind or to leave someone behind.

-I'll be one of those that will stay here for sure..- I heard Armin murmur on my left. He was scared ... Of not going with the others?  He was the brave one, but also the clever one, the kind one...

-As if...- I said a bit louder than him, it looked like he didn't want me to hear what he had just said, nor he expected anyone else to hear -You're one of the best in your own way-

-You're far better than me (y/n). You were 11th in the final classification- I laughed at his words. I really didn't know what to say.

There was something special between me and Armin, but none else knew about it. We became friends even before our training. I wasn't from Shiganshina but from an internal village in Wall Maria. We got to know each other, and Eren and Mikasa as well, right after the attack. When we started our training I developed something more for him than a simple friendship. It took me a while but in the end I talked about it with him, I wouldn't ever expect him to feel the same way.

There was just one problem, relationship between soldiers weren't really allowed, well... They were but just in particular situation that I didn't understand at all and that in any case wasn't ours.

-You'll find the list of who will go and who will stay outside, for today is all. Goodnight- The soldier finished and we all went out.

-I'm in the list!-

-I'm not... Well.... I'm kind of relieved-

I felt something touching my hand, I looked down and I saw Armin's. He was a bit embarassed but I just smiled and took his hand im mine own, trying to hide it from the others.

-Let's go!- I said smiling and holdinf strongly his hand. But I knew that in that moment I was even more scared than him. He nodded and we got near to the list on the wall.

-Hey! It's my name!- He said pointinf at his handwritten name.

Armin Arlert.

I squeezed his hand while looking for my name. More and more people went away. Some with a smile of relief or determination, or a frown of terror or delusion. Until it was just me and Armin, my hand was still in his one. And we didn't bother to hide it now that everyone was gone.

My name wasn't there.

-Why?- Armin asked -You're a great fighter-

-Armin, they must have a good reason. They probably think I'm not ready to fighr titans- I said the first thing that pop out in my head.

-But you already fought titans, and you were amazing- He said, maybe even a bit angry.

-I don't know Armin, okay?- I said letting go of hia hand and heading to the dorms.

-All that matters to me is for you to be safe.... So I guess I should be happy that you won't go there- I heard him saying, I wasn't expecting those words from him.

-I care about you too, you know thag right?- I said turning back facing him, he just nodded -I wanted to go there to make sure that you're alright. I will panic while you'll be away. From the moment you will be outside the walls I will always be thinking about you.. I won't be okay with that...- He kept staring at me. I was surprised as well by my words -That's it...- 

I went to bed regretting being so rude to him that evening. I stood awake the wholw night and I got up of bed early, I wanted to apologize.

-Armin!- I whispered noticing him right outside the boy's dorm. It looked like he had my same though.

-(y/n)?- He heard me, when I got near to him he looked like he didn't know what to say or how to act -What's wrong?-

-I'm sorry for yesterday... I was already panicking...-I said looking at the wooden gound.

-So you're not panicking now?- He asked with hope in his eyes.

-No... I'm still panicking, I just understood how to deal with this panic...- My words seemed to hit him.

-Calm down- He said suddenly hugging me. In a normal situation we wouldn't dare to such things. We were scared to be cought. That was our first huf since we started military training. I missed that feeling -Take deep breaths. I know how panic is like and I don't want you to have it for the whole time I'll be away-

-But you will come back... Right?- I asked. My face on his chest. He felt jim nodding.

-I will, I promise- He said. And he was telling the truth, I could understand it by hia voice.

I broke the hug, looked straight in his eyes and then make the distance between our lips vanish. At first he was surprised and probably scared that someone could see us. But then he kissed me back.

And that was our very first kiss.

-I love you- This was also my first time saying something like that.

-I love you too- And the first time I heard him saying this -Go to sleep now. And don't come to see us leavd later- I tried to protest but he stopped me -This is the memory of you I want to bring with me out there. I don't want to see you cry right before our mission- I got what he was trying to say. I guessed I would have done the same.

-Okay. Be back.- I said starting walking behind me. He smiled and nodded. Then I closed my eyes and ran towards the girl's dorm.

That was the memory I choosed to have of him.