Chapter Forty-Six

Neomi is the first friend of mine to cross the stage. They hand her her diploma and shake her hand. I scream loudly for her then sit back down.

   The same process occurs for Madi and then Sydney.

    After their graduation we go to Annika's.

    "So where is Miles, I thought he got home from the hospital today." Beth says. I shift uncomfortably in my chair. I have hardly spent any time with my friends lately. I have been focusing on Miles.

    "He's on bed rest for a few weeks." I say. She nods. Annika walks across the stage when they announce her name. We stand up.

    "Go Annika!!!!" Beth shouts. I whistle.

    "Work it girl." I shout. Apparently everyone heard me because they turn around and stare at me.

    "What's your fools' problem?" I ask. They roll their eyes and turn around.

    After Annika's graduation we hurry to get in the car.

    "The next graduation starts in exactly-" Neomi says looking at her phone.

    "In thirty minutes!!!!" She says.

    "Shit. Step on it Kait." I say. She nods and speeds up. I begin to shake my leg, I do that when I'm nervous. I am valedictorian so for the past few days I have done nothing but write and rewrite my speech.

    "Stop shaking!" Beth complains. I glare at her and then start playing fake piano on my legs.

    "What do you have to be so nervous about anyway?" Kaitlyn asks. I glare at her as well. I have forgiven her for what happened at prom but at the same time it makes me angry that she didn't listen to my advice. "It's not that difficult. You just go on the stage get your diploma and walk off."

    "Easy for you to say. You don't have to give a speech." I mutter. Beth laughs and everyone gives us weird looks.They turn back around. I am running through my speech when we pull into the parking lot. I take off my heels and jump out while the car is still moving.

    "Bri what the hell do you think you're doing?!?!" Beth shouts getting out of the car after it parks.

    "I'm sorry but I've got to go." I say running with my heels in my hand. Kaitlyn soon catches up with me. We run into the building.

    "Where the hell have you guys been?" Our friend Annie says handing us our cap and gown.

    "At our friends' graduations." I say putting on my cap and gown.

    "Well hurry up. We're starting soon." Annie says and then walks away. I put on my heels and fix my hair.

    "And now for a word from our class of 2018 valedictorian, Brianna Loveless." I turn to look at the stage. Then I turn back to Kaitlyn.

     "Do I look okay?" I ask. She surveys me for a second.

     "You look perfect. Go knock them dead." She says. I smile, nod, and then walk out to the stage.

    The lights are all on me. My breaths become short and fast. I begin to sweat. I stare at the crowd in front of me and see Kaitlyn sit in her seat. The crowd for the most part is a blur because of the brightness of the lights.

    All I can hear is the roar of the people staring at me. All I can see is the bright lights blaring above me. All I can feel is the sensation in my stomach that feels like I'm about to throw up. My mouth is dry. I realize that I have been standing up here, not saying anything, for a while now.