49

F O R T Y  N I N E

the weather was perfect as the clouds had vanished from the cerulean skies and the sun beamed almost as brightly as jimin and his toothy smiles. but despite the impeccable weather and the breeze that pushed yoongi's tuffs of raven hair in different ways, the world felt as if it had no longer been set on its axis.

yoongi felt as if the clock was ticking and sometime soon, the day would instantly be flipped upside down, and maybe his entire life would be, too.

but despite the pang in his chest telling him to stay cautious and examine the world around him, he continued to walk without a stumble in his step with his head held high and his chest puffed out.

his pink tinted nose was tickled against the tips of grass swaying in the howling winds atop the hill he and jimin sat at. their backs lay flat against the blanket covered earth as their hands crossed behind the napes of their necks.

the drive from daegu to the countryside was a long one, almost two hours, but the time the two would indulge in together would be worth the trek.

jimin squinted as he pointed towards the clouds in the sky, stating how he thought a particular puff in the sky looked like a rabbit. yoongi told himself that it was in fact a turtle, but he wouldn't bother to bicker with the boy who was always right, and that rule applied even in yoongi's world.

"oh! and that one... well that's gertrude," jimin chuckled as his pointer finger gravitated towards the sky.

"gertrude?"

"yeah the duck looking cloud."

"honey, that's a toad."

"in what world do you see a," jimin cocked his head so that he may possibly see what yoongi was interpreting as a wart infested frog. "well, i guess she really is a toad."

"told you."

the rest of that sunday was spent in the same fashion: debating which clouds looked like what animals while hands were intertwined and laughter flooded the atmosphere. jimin braided crowns of magnolias and anemones.

with blushing cheeks yoongi was adorned with the crown as jimin stated that he was jimin's king, and the younger was his queen.

they danced to their song as the stars came out to shine and the sun melted away, leaving millions of colors to paint the sky that few in the world would ever be able to reach.

jimin's face was buried in the familiar crook of yoongi's shoulder, and his ears were filled with dancing notes and shifting melodies of the music flowing from the tiny speaker of yoongi's phone.

at that moment, yoongi knew that he had finally gotten the good side of life even if it had taken eighteen years to find it. or rather, for it to find him.

the pain, the tears, and the aching was worth the wait when the breeze swept his mind and heart away and someone other than an imaginary friend was holding his hand.

february 27, 2018

2018 is this book's year to thrive. are y'all ready for this hiatus to be over bc i sure as hell am