Chapter 26 - Olivia

We all boarded the private jet to fly the 14 hours to the Philippines so I can record my Tagalog only EP. I'm really excited. I've been listening to the songs they want me to cover and they're BEAUTIFUL. Filipinos are known for their beautiful power ballad love songs and these are right up my alley. I got the music sent to me a couple weeks ago and I had been working to transcribe them in my key and making some rearrangements. I typically like to do this when I get a demo song or do a cover just so I can really feel and learn the song I'm going to be singing. I did a ton of research because it turns out my family was right, I didn't know as much Tagalog as I thought. The thing about singing in another language is that you don't have to know what all the words are, its a lot of following intonations and whatnot, but personally, I like to know what I'm saying and how to say it properly.

My family and I are only halfway through this flight and we're kind of already at each other's throats. I decided to make my work trip a family trip as well, even if it's just for two weeks I thought it would be nice for all of us to go home to the Philippines so we can see my family. My manager is also with us.

"What are the songs you're doing again?" my dad asked in Tagalog. We're finally speaking again but not if it has anything to do with Abby or my relationship with her. He'll walk out of the room if we talk about her.

"One is, 'Ngayon, Bukas at kailanman', 'Kailangan Kita', 'Kahit Na', 'Hanggang Kailan', and 'Butuing Walang Ningning'," I said. (Now and Forever, I Need You, Even Though, Until When, and Star Without Shine)

"Oh those are some of your Tita Nerissa's (Aunt) favorites, you should sing them to her, especially Butuing Walang Ningning," my dad said. My aunt is very sick, she was in remission but the cancer is back with a vengeance. So, it works out that we're all able to visit.

"Yeah, Ate (older sister), you should sing the songs now. Let's hear it. See if those Tagalog lessons worked," Kevin teased.

"Right now? No way. You guys can come to the recording studio and listen," I protested.

"Please, anak (daughter, sige na! (come on!)," my mom begged.

"Which one is Tita Nerissa's favorite again?" I give in.

"Do Kailangan Kita. I like that one," my dad requests.

I clear my throat and do a couple scales before singing.

Kailangan kita, ngayon at kailanman

Kailangan mong malaman na ikaw lamang

Ang tunay kong minamahal

Ang lagi kong dinarasal

Kailangan kita, ngayon at kailanman

Kailangang mong malaman na ikaw lamang

Ang tunay kong minamahal

At tangi kong hiling ay makapiling ka muli

Lee records a video to send to Abby, I assume. I hit the high note of the song with ease. I finish the song and there are tears in my parent's eyes.

"Oh my god, it's not that serious, you guys! Stop crying! Why are you crying?" I laugh.

"It was beautiful, anak," my mom confesses.

"Well damn, Ate, sorry we doubted you," Kevin laughed.

"THAT'S RIGHT! I FUCKING TOLD YOU GUYS I COULD DO IT! HOW DARE YOU DOUBT ME!" I laugh.

"I sent that to Abby, she's gonna die. Even if she doesn't know what that means, anyone with a heart can feel the power of that song, I mean look at Sarah, she's in tears from it" Lee joked.