Chapter 44 - Olivia

"IT'S FINALS WEEK AND I'M FAILING? I AM FAILING. I HAVE NEVER FAILED ANYTHING BUT I AM FAILING OUT OF THIS PROGRAM! I'M OLIVIA RIVIERA AND I HAVE NEVER FAILED ANYTHING BEFORE OH MY GOD!" I bellowed while pacing back and forth in Dr. Porter's office. "DOC!? HOW CAN YOU JUST SIT THERE? THERE'S GOTTA BE SOMETHING I CAN DO! SOMETHING WE CAN DO!" There are tears in my eyes at this point.

"Olivia. Sit. Down," Dr. Porter asserted.

I sit in his stiff leather chair across from his office that is lined with books and photographs. It feels like a study in a fancy wing of a house.

I place my head in my hands, holding it up on my knees. This can't be happening. I can't give Professor Watters and the rest of my cohort the satisfaction of failing out of this program. I can't breathe. I'm nauseated. My vision is clouding.

"Olivia. You are only failing because Professor Watters has yet to grade all the work you just completed, we needed to input grades but she hadn't gotten your work yet because of your work engagements in the Philippines, I urge you to calm down. You look like you're about to have a heart attack," he divulged. "You are going to pass this semester, with flying colors without a doubt."

"So, I'm not failing?" I look up from my hands.

"No, you just jumped into conclusions, rather quickly if you ask me. You could have taken the time to THINK about why you have a failing grade," he says shaking his head at my foolishness. "Now, where are we on your final? Have you been studying the piece you are to conduct?"

"Yeah, it's Mozart's Symphony No. 39," I groan because it's a really difficult piece and am really struggling with it.

"And? How is it coming along?" he questioned. I just shrugged and put my face back on my hands.

"Oh, dear...looks like we have our work cut out for us, don't we?" Dr. Porter starts arranging the papers on his desk.

"We? What do you mean?"

"I mean, there aren't any rules where another faculty member can't tutor you. I'll call Alyse and let her know we'll be needing dinner tonight, would you like to invite Abby?"

"What? What are we?" I ask him very, very confused.

Doc exhales sharply, "must be the jet lag. Okay, Olivia, you are coming to my house so I can properly tutor you for your final. I'm calling my wife to let her know you will be joining us for dinner because I don't plan on tutoring you on an empty stomach. I also asked you if Abby would like to join us for dinner."

"You would do all that for me?" I asked him in disbelief.

"You are not a failure, Olivia. Would I really be a friend of your grandmother's if I didn't help you if I could? I want to see you succeed because I know you can. You have had to face challenges that were unfair to you, especially in comparison to your fellow cohort members. None of them had to film a television show, plan a two night charity concert event, and release an album in another language all while attending this program. You have already exceeded everyone's expectation. We can't stop now, can we?" he winks at me. "So, Abby?"

"Yes, I'll ask her right now. Doc...thank you, I'm forever indebted to you. Thank you..." as my eyes well up.

"AGAIN!" Doc shouted from his stool by the piano.

"No! Doc! The final is to conduct this piece not to play it for Watters!"

"AGAIN, Olivia!" he repeats looking firmly at me.

I rolly my right wrist to stretch it and shake off the bit of pain and exhale deeply before playing Mozart's Symphony No. 39 on his perfectly polished baby grand piano.