Chapter 41 - Abby

Liv and I haven't spoken all day, we delivered our lines and did our scenes together but outside of that, there's been a cold front, on both our ends. I know Liv, she's being stubborn and thinks she's right. She thinks I was way out of line threatening to walk out on her if she didn't do a better job at balancing her work life and me. She hasn't made much of an effort. She's still spending hours on set (granted it's with me but still), every spare minute studying, and answering emails and business calls. I know I'm right, I shouldn't have said I would walk out on her but I know Liv knows that she isn't trying harder to balance everything out.

"YO! Little Bambina! What's up with you and my bestest?" Nick said jumping into the chair next to me.

"Nothing, why?" I deflect.

"Uhhh yes there is. You could cut a knife with the tension on this set."

"I'm not telling you, you'll just side with her, everyone does."

"Oh, come on. That's not true...try me! Come on! I love hearing about other people's love life problems, reminds me that I'm single and alone."

"No, Nick. I'm not telling you what's wrong. Not that there's anything wrong," I shoot my eyes back at him.

"Lie all you want, little lady. I know. What is it? Another guy? Girl? You realize she's a pain in the ass to live with?" Nick guesses bringing his index finger to his chin. "Oh! Is it the sex? Is it bad? Oh...it's my brother isn't it?"

"Keep guessing all you want, Nick, I'm still not going to tell you!" I sing and continue to read my sides.

Nick picks up his chair so it's directly in front of mine with very little space between us, so close our knees keep bumping, "Ohh...it's work, she do something here? Is it me? Derek? Me and Derek? What about school? All the traveling back and forth to New York too much?"

I flinch because Nick is definitely getting warmer.

"Mmm, it's school and work...she's working too much, isn't she? IT IS!!!" he says wagging his index finger up and down and in my face. "DSMN is over, you'll get your girl back. It's always like this, every year, Abby."

"She's not making any effort to try and balance her work life and personal life more! None whatsoever!" I finally cave, dropping my sides on my lap and bumping our knees together.

"She's trying, she wouldn't risk you for it. Believe me, she's trying. Are you? Are you trying to be understanding?"

I shoot him a look and he puts his hands up, "I'm not siding with her! I'm trying to see both sides."

"What am I not being understanding of? I understand that this is her life, that she's Olivia Riviera..."

"Exactly, this is her life. Liv has never not juggled a ton of shit all at once. She is Olivia Riviera, she has to calculate every move because she's the face of every Asian-American female that's trying to make it in this world. She's ever-growing, always striving, always wanting..."

"But at what cost, Nick?"

"No cost, she's doing what she needs to in order to make it in this world. She has to try 10x harder than everyone else in the world because she's different from everyone else. The whole world doubts her, they don't see her the way they see me or you because of the color of her skin and now her sexuality. I know she gets consumed by it all, but it's our job -- your job to bring her back."

"I understand..."

"I'm not siding with her but this is something she would never say or she doesn't even realize this about herself. I definitely understand how you feel, I was right there listening to Lucas. It's not easy being with Liv and I'll talk to her if you want. You just have to be strong enough and most of all, secure enough with yourself to let her do her thing."