12. Bittersweet

After leaving the bar, I saw Elena and Caroline walking around and I decided to join them. "Mia!" Caroline smiled brightly at me and pulled me into a hug. "I'm so happy to see you!" She looked at me and her blue eyes scanned me. "Stefan said you were in New Orleans."

I nodded. "Yeah and I intend to go back as soon as I convince Damon that I'm fine." I rolled my eyes. "He thinks I'm a ticking bomb ready to explode if I don't flip my switch back."

Caroline looked at me with a serious expression. "He's just worried about you, like all of us. You disappeared without saying goodbye and we kinda needed you."

Elena smiled at me and then sighed heavily. "Is it true that I was in love with your brother?" She asked me, clearly trying to make some sense out of it.

"Which one?" I smirked and she raised an eyebrow. "Yes, you were madly in love with Damon and he made you extremely happy. He gave you an epic, exciting and sometimes dangerous love." My mind flashed to Klaus and I smiled slightly. "That is something every girl wants."

Caroline examined my facial expression and smirked. "What does that little smile mean?" She gasped. "Were you thinking about Klaus?" I nodded and her blue eyes widened. "He's your trigger! Mia, you need to talk to Klaus in order to get your humanity back."

Elena glanced between the two of us, confused. "Wait, why is Klaus your trigger? I mean, mine was Matt's death because I cared about him. Unless..." She paused and then stared at me. "You were in love with him before you flipped the switch, weren't you?"

"Yes, I loved Klaus." I sighed. "I loved Klaus even before I started dating Jeremy. Damn, I've been in love with Klaus since the first time we met in the woods. When he saved me from the werewolf that was about to attack me."

Caroline and Elena smiled. "Your love for him is stronger than the grief you felt when Damon died. That's why he's your trigger." Elena stated and I furrowed my eyebrows. I thought I was in love with Jeremy but it has always been Klaus.

***

Stefan walked inside my bedroom and sat on the red couch. He leaned forward and raised an eyebrow. "What?" I asked in annoyance.

My brother smiled and shook his head slightly. "Caroline told me you confessed your feelings for Klaus."

I rolled my eyes. "That girl cannot get her mouth shut! This is none of her business and, honestly, I don't even have feelings for Klaus."

"Not now cause you lost your humanity. But if you admit to yourself and to him that you're in love, then maybe, my sister Mia can be saved." Stefan looked at me with a hopeful expression. "Klaus has done a lot of bad things but he was always quite caring towards you."

I raised an eyebrow at him. "Are you giving me your blessing?" I asked, slightly amused.

Stefan sighed and then sat on the bed next to me. "The only thing I want in life is your happiness. It doesn't matter if you choose to be with Jeremy or Klaus or even someone else." He wrapped his arms around my shoulders. "Your happiness is my ultimate goal. You're my sister and I love you, no matter how many mistakes you make." He kissed my forehead and left.

My eyes scanned my bed for my phone and I grabbed it, dialing Klaus' number. It rang but it went to voicemail. "Klaus, hi! Leaving messages is annoying but I have to tell you something. I would rather tell you in person but this is urgent." I sighed. "I've come to realize that you've been an important part in my life since the day we met. And I've loved since that day. What I want to tell you is that I love you, Klaus. More than I ever thought I could love anyone." I ended the message and tears started streaming down my face. My humanity was restored but I felt silly by leaving him a message.

***

Two days have passed and Klaus didn't call me back. I decided to return to New Orleans but before I had to let my brothers know that I got my humanity back. Damon has been busy with Elena and Stefan decided to give me space, which I appreciate.

I walked down the staircase with my bag and Damon was standing there. "I'm returning to New Orleans." I informed him.

Damon gave me a stern look and I flinched. "You should stay here with us. This is your home, Mia!" He sighed. "We spent a century and a half apart and I can't imagine not having you around, even if you're still soulless."

I smiled at him and hugged him tightly. "Oh, Damon, I got my humanity back." I pulled away and kissed his cheek. "The old Mia is back and I promise to text you everyday. I missed you so much!" I could feel my eyes getting glossy.

Stefan entered the room and smiled at us. "I knew you'd return!" He turned to Damon. "You should let Mia leave. This is her home and she will return, eventually."

Damon pulled us in for a Salvatore family hug and grinned. "You two are my younger siblings and I will never stop worrying about you." He pulled away and grabbed my shoulders. "If anything happens to you, don't hesitate to call. I will slaughter everyone that touches and hurts you."

I punched his chest playfully. "Damon, you should find a way to make Elena remember the good times you spent together. That should be your priority!"

"Remember what I promised? You will always be my number one priority." Damon looked into my eyes and we smiled at each other.

I turned to Stefan and held his hand. "Steffy, thank you for never giving up on me." He nodded. "And give Caroline a chance. It's clear she likes you." I could tell he was blushing.

Stefan kissed my forehead and smiled. "I missed hearing you call me Steffy. I still dislike it, though." He chuckled.

"I guess this is goodbye." I stated with tears in my eyes.

Stefan pulled me in for a hug. "For now, Mia."

I pulled away and wrapped my arms around Damon's torso. "I love the two of you so much!" I looked into his piercing blue eyes. "Don't ever die on me again!"

Damon smirked. "You know I can't promise you that. I like to live dangerously!" I punched him and he furrowed his eyebrows. "Ouch! You're little but you're strong." We all laughed and then I turned around and left. This time was harder to leave my brothers but I had to.