42. An Enticing Proposition

After leaving the compound, I decided to have a drink at Rousseau's. Cami was working so I decided to take a sit at the counter. "Bourbon, please."

Cami turned to me and her eyes widened. "I didn't know you'd come here tonight." She said.

She poured a glass of bourbon and I smiled. "Yeah, I needed to unwind after the whole stuff that happened." I took a sip of my drink.

The blonde bartender looked at me. "Do you want to talk about it?"

I nodded and grinned. "As long as you talk about your feelings for Klaus." Her green eyes widened in shock. "What? I'm 166 years old which means I know when a woman is in love with a man."

"Mia..." She sighed while leaning forward. "Klaus loves you and I would never come between two people so devoted to each other as you the both of you." A small smile appeared on her face. "Although he has done plenty of awful things, he always seems to be a better person whenever you're around."

My eyes stood glued on hers. "Klaus confides in you more than he ever confides in me. You must be really important to him."

Cami put her hand over mine. "We bonded a lot last year but it's you that he loves. My feelings for him are not an obstacle to you."

I downed my drink and glared at her. "Your feelings could be an obstacle if Klaus reciprocates them." I handed her 20$ and winked before walking away.

"Mia!" I heard someone call my name and turned around. "Wait up!" Josh walked up to me with his hands on his pockets. "I owe you an apology."

I patted his shoulder and smiled. "I accept your apology, baby vamp." I linked my arm with his and we both walked out of the bar. "This night couldn't get any weirder." I complained and he chuckled as I kissed his cheek.

***

The following day, I heard someone knocking on the door, interrupting my beauty sleep. "Who's at the door?" I shouted. When I entered my living room, I saw Vincent standing near the door. "Why are you here?"

Davina turned to me. "Vincent is here to speak to me. Sorry for waking you up." She apologized while closing the door.

I closed my robe and sat on a stool. "Now I'm curious about Vincent's early visit." I grabbed an apple and took a bite. "Is it exclusive for witches?" I asked with a sassy attitude.

Vincent shook his head and smiled. "Not at all. This matter actually concerns you too, Mia." He spoke softly, yet secure.

"Okay, shoot!" I said before taking another bite of the delicious green apple. "I'm all ears, Vincent." I smirked.

The witch nodded softly and then turned to Davina. "Josephine and the nine covens want me to succeed her as regent of all the covens in New Orleans."

Davina smiled brightly. "Congratulations! But why are you telling us this?" She raised an eyebrow and I chuckled.

Vincent cleared his throat. "Well, I think you deserve it more than I do." He stated. "The Regent of the nine covens has access to unlimited magic. Not only will you be able to perform ancestral magic, but also voodoo, hoodoo, sacrificial and representational magic and, most importantly, necromancy."

I furrowed my eyebrows and stood up. "Are you suggesting that this sixteen year old witch should become the most important witch in New Orleans?" I was in shock. "With such power comes responsabilities and enemies. I don't want Davina taking risks so high!"

"Think about it, Davina. You will be able to resurrect Kol by channeling the entire power of the Ancestors." Vincent explained.

Davina glanced between Vincent and I. "Vincent, I need to think about your offer. Thank you for stopping by." She smiled while walking him to the door and then closing it.

***

"You're not really thinking about accepting his proposal, are you?" I asked still in shock over Vincent's speech.

Davina sighed. "I think I should accept it. Being Regent means I can bring Kol back just like I want." She argued. "Please, Mia..."

I shook my head in disapproval. "It also means you will have a target on your back all the time." I stated. "Witches are envious and the other creatures fear such power. I can't protect you if you accept that offer."

The teen witch balled her tiny fists. "Maybe I don't want to be protected!" She spat in anger. "You're my friend, Mia, not my mom. So you can't get up all my business and boss me around like a regular teenager."

I sighed in defeat. "You're right. I'm not your mom but you live under my roof so you have to follow my rules." I sounded just like my father whenever he argued with Damon. "I'm leaving New Orleans after Dahlia is wasted. Do you think I will feel good knowing that you might be at risk just because of some crush? You don't even know the real Kol!"

"And you do?" She shouted. "You had sex with Kol like a million years ago! It's not like you two had a relationship like we did."

My eyes locked with hers. "Fine! Do whatever you want, Davina." I threw my hands in the air. "Just don't come running back when being a leader doesn't sound as appealing anymore. I'm closing that door."

Davina looked at me with hurt in her eyes. "I don't care, Mia. Close the door and leave!" She opened the door and turned to me. "You're just jealous cause Kol is not as complicated and insane as Klaus." She stormed out of the loft and closed the door.

Suddenly, I heard a knock on the door. "What?!" I shouted while opening the door. As soon as I did, my heart started beating faster. "Klaus..."

"Hello, love!" Klaus smirked and peaked inside the loft. "May I come in? It's rude to leave your guests standing in the doorway."

I smiled and hugged him immediately. "How did you undagger yourself?" I asked in disbelief.

Klaus cupped my face. "I will tell you everything if you promise to always be by my side no matter what." He leaned his forehead to mine.

I nodded softly. "Forever and always." I promised and he kissed me softly on the lips. I longed for his kiss for so long and now I didn't want to let him go.