47. Goodbye, Elena

Leaving New Orleans was painful, yet liberating. I know Klaus will be fine and Hope is safe with her father. I parked my red Mustang in front of the Boarding House and took a deep breath. "This is your home, Mia. No need to be nervous." I said to myself.

I entered my home and put my bags on the floor. As soon as I reached the main room, I saw Elena Gilbert laying on a coffin and looking like a Disney princess. "Mia!" Stefan looked at me and immediately hugged me. "You got my message."

I nodded and glanced at Damon. "How did it happen?" I asked, concerned about my older brother.

"Kai got out from the prison world and linked her life to mine." Bonnie explained. "Elena will only wake up once I die."

My eyes traveled around the room. "There has to be a way to reverse his spell." I suggested.

Damon shook his head. "Kai was very specific. If we try to find a loophole, Elena dies and I don't want her dead."

Caroline walked up to me and patted my back. "It is really good to see you, Mia." She smiled. "We already said goodbye to Elena. You should do the same."

I nodded and smiled softly at my blonde friend. "She looks so peaceful!" My eyes started to get glossy. "What about our mother?" I asked.

"We should talk about that later." Stefan said. "Take your time with Elena. She will be happy to see you one last time."

Damon glared at our brother. "It's not the last time, Stefan! I will do everything in my power to bring Elena back without killing Bonnie."

I grabbed Damon's hand and looked into his piercing blue eyes. "I'll be here to help you with that, D." I leaned my head on his shoulder. "I promise we will bring Elena back."

He looked down at me. "What about New Orleans?"

"It's all settled! You need me more." I smiled softly and he returned the gesture. Being with my family is the most important thing right now.

***

I walked towards the coffin Elena was in and held her hand, connecting myself to her. We were both standing at the Grill and I smiled as soon as I saw the brunette. "Elena!"

We hugged each other and she smiled at me. "I never thought you would come to say goodbye to me." She said.

My brown eyes locked with hers. "We're friends and almost family." My smile faded at the thought of not seeing her until Bonnie's death. "I decided to return to Mystic Falls for good this time." I sighed. "Damon needs me."

Elena raised an eyebrow. "Are you really that scared of loving Klaus that you're using this unfortunate event to run away from him?" She asked with a sassy tone.

I was speechless for a few moment until I realized Elena could help me figure out what was happening to me. "New Orleans was a great experience, but my love for Klaus was doomed from the start."

"I'm not a fan of Klaus. Honestly, I've dreamt of killing him multiple times." She admitted. "But the way he looks at you..." She smiled. "It's the exact same way I look at Damon. Klaus is your very own Damon Salvatore and you're throwing him away."

I furrowed my eyebrows. "That is disturbing!"

Elena grabbed my hand and looked into my eyes. "Damon once told me that I wanted a love that consumed me and maybe a little danger." She smiled brightly. "He gave me that and I am sure that Klaus consumes you. Don't be afraid to live a consuming and dangerous life, Mia!"

I nodded and pulled her into a tight embrace. "You became so wise."

She pulled away and looked into my eyes. "Promise me you'll write all about your life so I can read it once I wake up."

I wiped my tears and nodded. "I promise." We both hugged and then I let go of her hand. Stefan walked up to me and held me in his arms, comforting me. This was my goodbye to Elena Gilbert.

***

After the emotional goodbye to Elena, I walked outside and immediately thought about Klaus. "A penny for your thoughts." I heard Jeremy's voice and turned around to see his kind face. "You used to share your thoughts with me."

I avoided eye contact. "It feels like it was a lifetime ago." I smiled sarcastically.

"For what it's worth, I will always be in love with you." He stepped closer to me. "No matter what, Mia."

In that moment, I wanted to kiss him and have a normal life with a normal guy. But I couldn't do it. "I don't deserve your love, Jer."

Jeremy gave me a small smile. "Just like Klaus doesn't deserve yours." He held my hand and stood only a few inches apart. "Look Mia, I would give anything to have a second shot with you but I respect you too much to be that selfish with you." He smiled and looked into my brown eyes. "Because I love you, I won't pressure you." He kissed my cheek and walked away.

Caroline and Bonnie showed up right after and smiled at me. "You should give Jeremy a second chance." Bonnie suggested. "He's not the same guy he was and he clearly loves you."

I nodded in agreement. "I know, Bon. It breaks my heart to know that."

My blonde friend crossed her arms over her chest. "I hate to admit it, but Klaus makes you happy and happiness is the most important thing in life." She sighed. "What did Elena tell you?" She questioned with a raised brow.

"She told me I shouldn't run away from someone I love just because I'm scared." I confessed. "But Mystic Falls is my home." I put both my arms around my two friends and smiled.

Stefan and Matt showed up and smiled at the three of us. "What are we celebrating?" My brother asked.

I smiled brightly. "Life, love, friends... And maybe new beginnings." I replied.

Matt nodded. "I'm all about new beginnings."

We all had a group hug and celebrated together. "Let's live for Elena." I stated.

"For Elena." We all said in unison. Elena Gilbert was a true friend and she deserved to be celebrated. I'm going to live a life worth writing about so that Elena feels like she lived it too. Hopefully, Damon is able to get through this without losing his humanity.