46. Turning to Ashes

Elijah, Rebekah and I took Esther to the compound so she could do the spell necessary to make the dagger that could kill Dahlia. "Why would you help your children now?" I asked while Esther grabbed a dagger.

The witch made a small cut a poured her blood into an ancient bowl. "My dear, I love all my children equally and I realize I made them suffer for centuries due to my own mistakes." She mixed in the Norwegian soil. "But Dahlia already took Freya away from me." Next, she poured Mikael's ashes. "I will not let her harm any of my other children." Esther looked at me softly. "And that includes you."

Rebekah stood next to me and started whispering. "This is the right thing, Mia." Esther then started chanting something in latin. "Our mother is powerful enough to stop Dahlia from taking Hope and killing Klaus."

I nodded and then looked at Elijah. "How are you feeling?" I whispered.

"I'm worried about my niece, my reckless brother and Hayley." He whispered back with a stern expression.

Esther finished her chant and grabbed the dagger. "The weapon able to kill Dahlia is ready to be used." She handed it to Elijah. "I decided to go along with the three of you." She stated. "I may be of use in case Dahlia decides to use magic against you."

Rebekah looked at her mother with concern. "What if she decides to harm you?"

"You forget that I am as powerful as she is." Esther smiled before kissing her daughter's cheek. "Don't worry about me. Just protect my granddaughter!"

Elijah stared at the dagger. "We will always protect Hope, even if we have to sacrifice ourselves."

The two siblings started walking away and Esther grabbed my arm. "Amelia!" I looked at her. "Niklaus' only desire is to be loved... Unconditionally." She sighed. "I wasn't a good mother and he grew to resent me. My son has done terrible things but he deserves a strong woman by his side." She caressed my cheek in a motherly way. "You are the right woman for him." Her words hit me really hard, but my decision was made. I will return to Mystic Falls!

***

We all arrived at the place Dahlia was keeping Klaus. She immediately made herself known by using magic against Esther, chaining her. "So glad you could make it, Esther." Dahlia gloated.

Klaus stared at his mother and furrowed his eyebrows. "Mother..."

Dahlia grabbed the White Oak Stake and grinned. "Hope you enjoy the show!" She teased Esther before exploding the stake and laughing as the Originals inhaled the sawdust and started to burn from the inside.

"Nik!" I screamed and held him while he coughed up blood from the irritation. "I promise to help you. Please just hold on a little longer." Tears started streaming down my face.

Klaus looked at me with his yellow eyes. "I can't, Amelia!" He coughed some more blood. "You must dagger Dahlia yourself and protect Hope now that Hayley can't."

I cupped his face and stared into his golden eyes. "Klaus Mikaelson, you are forbidden from dying. Do you hear me?" He chuckled and I placed a kiss on his forehead before vamping out. "Now it's between the two of us. I'm sick of your games, bitch!" I shouted at Dahlia.

Dahlia smirked. "And what are you going to do to me? You're just a vampire."

Esther wrapped her chains around Dahlia's neck, neutralizing her temporarily. "Perhaps you underestimated me." She said. "Do it, Niklaus!"

Klaus grabbed the dagger and stabbed both Dahlia and Esther. "Thank you mother." He said with tears in his eyes.

Both witches died and the Originals were back to normal. "Is it over?" Rebekah asked with a satisfying expression.

The hybrid nodded and looked at me. "We killed Dahlia and saved my daughter." He smiled and held my hand, making my body tingle from happiness and also some sadness. It was all so bittersweet!

***

Klaus was in Hope's nursery, putting her to sleep as I watched with a huge smile plastered all over my face. "You are so good with her." I said, genuinely proud of the father Klaus turned out to be.

He turned to me and smiled. "I finally have the opportunity to be a good father to Hope. The kind of father I never had." He took a quick glance at his daughter. "That little person means the world to me and I owe it to you."

"Why me?" I asked surprised by his words.

Klaus took a step closer to me. "Well, Amelia, your kindness inspired me to be a better man. Also, Hope loves you and so do I."

We were now only inches apart and I could feel his warm breath. "I'm proud of the man you became, Klaus. When we first met, you were obsessed with your hybrids and now you would sacrifice yourself for someone else." I smiled. "You're a great man!"

The hybrid tuck a strand of hair behind my ear and kissed me softly. "I know you are leaving and that is why you are here right now. To tell me that you are in fact returning to Mystic Falls."

I nodded while looking down. "I kept my word." I could feel my eyes getting glossy. "We finished Dahlia and now I should leave."

"But I love you, Little Red." His voice came out soft, almost a whisper.

My eyes locked with his and I wrapped my arms around his neck. "And I love you, Nik. But there's always going to be another enemy and I want more." A tear streamed down my pale cheek. "I deserve a normal kind of love. Maybe we're just not meant to be."

Klaus held both my hands and kissed my knuckles. "You are always welcome here whenever you feel like visiting."

I nodded. "My love for you is eternal, kinda like my life." I laughed softly.

The Original hybrid held me by my waist and smiled. "You will be mine, Amelia Salvatore. As you know, I don't believe in destiny." He kissed me passionately and once we pulled away, I smiled brightly, leaving him standing there in the nursery.

My life in New Orleans has come to an end, although I wish I could stay with Klaus. As fate would have it, I was needed in Mystic Falls. My family needs me!