Birthday Tears

Silence. He just looked at me. Nothing. Okay well I guess I'll continue packing. I didn't know what I was expecting him to say anyways.

As I finished I got up and walked toward the door which was where Alex had been standing. And of course Ainsley had to walk in at this lovely moment.

She smiled at me. "Hi Ana."

I gave her a small smile in return. "Hi Ainsley."

She pointed at my suitcase. "Are you moving your things?"

I nod. "Yep, now that your back Ainsley, it would not be appropriate for me to stay in here."

"I'm really sorry about what happened last night," Ainsley apologized.

"It's okay, you didn't know I stayed in here," I say.

She only smiled at me. "Okay well then, I'll leave you two to it then. Goodnight."

"Goodnight," Ainsley replied.

Nothing from Alex. I roll my suitcase to the guest room and close the door behind me. I laid in bed and replayed what happened with Grayson today. I smile to myself. I truly did like Grayson but I can't try to lie to myself anymore, I did have some kind of feelings for Alex. All I need is for my feelings for Alex to disappear. I didn't feel like I was stringing Grayson along because I did like him, I might even have feelings for him. My head was just so clouded. I needed time think. Time without Grayson or Alex. I needed time to myself. This is starting to become too overwhelming for me.

Two days pass. I wake up in the morning in a gloomy mood. Today was September 3rd, my birthday. I was thankful my birthday was on a Monday because that meant I had to go to work. Work might take my mind off things. I get dressed and put a little makeup on. Honestly I didn't even brush my hair because I didn't feel like it. I slip on some black heels and head down to the kitchen.

"Good morning Ana," Alex said as I walked into the kitchen.

I didn't look at him. "Morning."

"Happy birthday," I heard him say as I took a bottle of water out of the fridge.

I face him and tried to show him a happy smile. "Thank you."

"Hungry?" He asks.

I shake my head. "No, I'm good."

"So what are you going to do for your birthday?" Alex asks.

I shrug. "I'm not sure yet." That was a lie. I knew exactly what I would be doing. I am going to work and then I'm going to bed as soon as possible so this day could be over.

He looks curiously at me. "It's your birthday, you don't have to work if you don't want to."

"No, I want to work," I say a little too strongly and a little too quickly.

Alex gives me a weird look. "Okay then, let's go."

A wave of relief washes through me. I'm so glad he didn't ask me any more questions about my birthday.

As we arrive to work Katie comes and gives me a hug. "Happy birthday Ana."

I force out a cheerful smile. "Thanks Katie."

"There's something special on your desk," she winks at me.

I walk into my office and spot a gorgeous bundle of pink and yellow roses. I smile to myself. I pick up the little note card. It was from Grayson. It boosted my mood a little. 

"Who are those from?" I heard Alex say from the doorway.

I look at Alex. "They're from Grayson."