Letting Go

I look as Ainsley and Kai enter the apartment. I look at Alex and he's staring at Kai intensely. My stomach became knotted.

"Alex," Ainsley breathed and gave Alex a hug.

Alex didn't return the hug. He face was blank. Ainsley pulled away and picked up Kai who also was very expressionless.

"Alex, this is Kai," Ainsley introduced.

The little boy looked shyly at him and gave him a little wave. I couldn't help but smile and apparently neither could Alex.

"Hi there Kai," Alex smiled.

I watched as the trio interacted. They looked like the perfect family. Would Alex marry Ainsley? Most likely. I would have to let go; it's going to be hard. I'll get over it. Eventually. This was the most awkward situation I've ever been in. I quietly step away into the bedroom. It hurt to see such a sight. All my legs wanted to do is run.

I grab my purse and head for the kitchen. I use the elevator in the kitchen and head out. I walk around for a little bit and found my way back to my old apartment. I use my old key and enter the small place. I didn't know what to do.

I fell asleep on the couch. I wake to the sound of of my phone ringing. I open my eyes and turn my phone over. 7 missed calls from Alex. I check the time and it was already 8 p.m. I take Alex's call.

"Ana, where the hell are you?"

"At my apartment."

"Why did you leave?"

"It wasn't my place at the moment."

"I need to talk to you Ana."

"So, talk."

"No, it has to be in person."

My stomach started churning. "Okay, where?"

"I'll pick you up in about twenty minutes."

"Okay, bye."

"Bye," Alex said softly and then hung up.

Why did I have a feeling that I was about to get my heart ripped from my body? I sat and tried to focus on the TV as I waited for Alex's arrival.
25 minutes later, Alex texted me to come down.

I grabbed my things an headed down to find Alex's limo parked there with his driver standing by the door. I gave a polite smile as his driver opened the door for me. I sucked in a deep breathe and faced Alex.

"Ana."

"Alex."

"My parents know about Kai."

"How?"

"They made an unexpected stop at the house at just the right time."

"What did they say?"

Alex paused. He opened his mouth but then closed it shut again.

"Alex what did they say?"

"They want me to marry her."

And I was right. I knew Alex was going to end up marrying her. At this point I wanted to scream some cuss words and possibly cry my eyes out but I knew I had to keep myself intact.
I couldn't even look at him in the eye anymore. I looked up to prevent my build up of tears from falling. This was it, the day my heart was going to be ripped from my chest.

Alex grabbed my hand. "Hey I didn't say I was going to marry her."

"You didn't say you weren't going to either."

"It's complicated Ana."

"How so?"

"You know my dad wants to have a family image on the company and he says that if I marry Ainsley, the company is mine."

"What did you think of Kai?"

A small smile graced his face. "He's cute."

A sad smile appeared on mine. "Yeah he is."
I knew what I had to do. I know he's going to marry Ainsley and I won't be here when it happens. So I suck up all my tears and stare at him straight in the eye. "I want out."

"Out?"

"Of this contract. I don't want it."

"Why?" He asked seeming a little alarmed.

"Because I don't want to be your fake fiancé anymore."

"But my feelings aren't fake."

"I know Alex, that's why if you have feelings for me you'll understand why I don't want to be in this deceiving contract anymore."

"You want to leave me," his eyes scanned my face as if looking for something.

"I never said that."

"I can see it in your eyes."

"You're being ridiculous."

"You want to run. Run away from me."

"I don't want to run away from you Alex! I just think maybe we need space."

"No."

"No?"

"Ana, you're staying in this contract."

"No, I'm not."

"I can sue you. I can't make you into dust if you try to get out of this contract just because you're scared."

I smile. "You can't do that to me Alex."

He raised a brow. "Why the hell not?"

"Because you love me."

"And you love me Ana."

My eyes turn sad. "I do."

"But you're willing to give up on the love you have for me?"

"I'm not giving up. I'm letting go. Sometimes you have to let the ones you love most go."

"I don't want you to let go," he gulped.

"When you get this mess figured out and you still want me, then great. But until then I can't stay in this crazy web of issues that needs to be worked out." Alex said nothing. "Well I guess this is goo-,"

I didn't even finish the sentence because he placed his hand over my mouth. "No goodbyes. Don't you dare say goodbye because it's not."

"Okay I won't."

"Before you go, I want you to do something."

"Which is?"

"I want you to come to my therapy session tomorrow."

I give him the weirdest look. "Why?"

"Just do it for me."

*
Sorry I haven't updated in a while! I've been so busy. Anyways I'll try to work harder on updating for you guys!