From the Heart

Alex's POV

I watched as Ana got in the car with Simone to go shop. I'm sure she was just trying to be polite when she agreed to it. She's usually a good sport and I admired that about her.

"It was nice catching up with you Alex," Aiden faced me.

"You too."

"Ana seems to be happy. I'm assuming the business arrangement is going well."

"It can be a little rough at times but overall it's a success. It was a good idea Aiden."

"Well it's helped both of us."

I nodded. I didn't know how it helped him but I didn't care.

"I'll see you tomorrow night," Aiden spoke as he stepped in his car.

I found it strange that Aiden wanted to see me two days in a row. Anyways, I took my car to my office to finish some work.

As I opened my office door I immediately regretted coming to work. Ainsley was sitting in my chair.

"What are you doing here?" I questioned.

She looked up and smiled at me. "Oh baby, there you are. I've been waiting a while."

What the fuck? Ainsley got up from the chair and walked towards me. She tried to lean in for a kiss but I immediately stepped back.

"Alex what's wrong?"

"We're not together anymore Ainsley. We had this conversation last night. I think I was pretty clear."

"Come on, I know you didn't mean it. You were just overwhelmed."

"I meant it."

"You know how much I care for you and love you."

"I'm sorry, but I can't return your feelings anymore."

Tears started to well up in her eyes. "Why?
"Why do you like her so much Alex? What does she have that I don't?"

"What makes you think I like her?"

She gives me a frown. "Just tell me why."

"Ainsley, just leave it alone."

"Fine."

"I'll always care for you as a friend Ainsley," I say sincerely.

"Friend? I don't want to be your friend!"

"It's all I can give you."

"You've changed Alex."

"More than you know."

"What did you mean last night when you said you got the closure you were looking for? What kind of closure did you get by seeing me again? You don't even know the reason I left, so how did you get your damn closure?"

"I got my closure when I realized I didn't love you and I never did. I loved the amount of love you had for me." Tears were escaping her eyes by now. I felt bad for saying this to her, but it was the truth and it had to be done.

"How can you say that you never l-loved me," she said choking on her words.

"Because it's the truth and I want you to move on and be happy."

"I won't ever be happy unless I'm with you."

"You'll find someone Ainsley."

"I don't want anyone else. I need you. Just you."

"You should go," I say gently.

"What if I don't?" She challenged.

"Then I'll go."