The Friend Zone

|BLUE'S POV|

It's been a while since everything happened with me and my brother losing our damn minds as our parents would say. All that happened almost 6 months ago now that I think about it. They stuck to their guns though. Jr. was not allowed back on the team until he got his grades back up, which he did in no time, but my parents kept the double tutoring, plus hella chores for him to do.

As for me, I continue to dance, but I've really been into fashion. I've been learning the basics from my grandma Tina and she loves that I'm interested in and we've been bonding on another level. Other than that I'll be entering my Senior Year in the fall. I will say that all those extra classes I was taking paid off because my Senior schedule is pretty light right now. I haven't quite decided what work program I want to do since I'll only have classes half the day. I have to make a decision soon though, but for now I just want to enjoy my summer.

If you're thinking that my dad laid off the tutoring because it's summertime, think again. Jr. is doing a basketball camp in New York this summer and between dancing and hanging out with a special someone I'm getting tutored as well. I'm thinking of taking my SATs again, but my score is pretty decent so I really don't have to. I've started looking into schools for fashion, but my moms been insisting that I look into business and finance as well. My dad agrees. For now, I'm all about fashion.

As for that special someone, it's Cameron. Well he's special to me, it's just that he hasn't asked me out yet and we've been talking for over a year. As cliche as it sounds, maybe he's just not that into me.

It's another weekend and Nori is coming in town and we're going to go to some party she was telling me that she heard about. How she hears about all these parties in Manhattan even though she lives in L.A. beats me. I never turn down a party though and with everything going on I could use a party to take my mind off Cameron.

I got up and got dressed and headed downstairs to see my mom and dad in the kitchen. I looked at the clock to see it was 11am so Jr. was off working out somewhere before taking off with his friends.

Morning mom and dad," I said giving them both kisses as I sat down at the table.

"Morning Blue," my mom replied with a smile and handed me a plate.

My dad put the paper down and said, "Hey baby girl. What's your plan with Thing 2 coming in town?"

Yeah my dad refers to Nori and I as Thing 1 and Thing 2. We had a falling out after the tattoo incident, but we're back on track and have decided to make better choices, hopefully.

I said my grace before responding, "Um, she said something about a party. I do not have full details and I know how you guys are about these things. You'll have to ask her when she gets here."

My dad began shaking his head and I already knew his answer was going to be no.

"Blue. You're 17 and Nori just turned 16. I don't know what kind of party you plan on going to, but if I find out it's any shady shit going on, any underaged drinking, or anywhere near a club, I'll have both of your asses. Do you understand me?" he asked never breaking his glare or raising his voice.

I smiled knowing that he had given us permission to go. My father has been more open minded about where I go and who I hang out with, but he's still his same old overprotective self.

"You got it dad," I said and finished eating.

I was about to head upstairs and then I heard the doorbell ring. I yelled that I would get it and I opened it to see my partner in crime, North West.

"Nori!" I yelled, as usual.

She screamed, "Blue!"

She came inside and we hugged and jumped around in a circle screaming like little school girls. It was something we did every time we saw each other because we knew it annoyed our dads. Our moms just sat back and laughed.

"Must you do that everytime you two see each other? And where's your manners Blue?" Uncle Ye questioned coming in and closing the door.

"Yes uncle Ye we must and hello how are you?" I said with a smile and kissed him on his cheek.

He pulled me into a hug and replied, "That's more like it. Where's your parentals. I need to talk to them about this party that North has not shut up about for the past week."

I nodded and replied, "They're in the kitchen. Daddy said yes as long as there's no shady business."

"I can speak for myself Blue." my dad said coming in kissing North on her forehead and giving uncle Ye a bro hug.

I began to whine, "But daddy. You promised."

He chuckled and responded, "First off, I don't make promises I can't keep. Second I didn't promise you anything. I said I needed to find out more information. With the information I got as long as there was no club, drinking, etc. involved then yes you would be allowed to go. Now, your uncle and I will discuss and we'll give you an answer. Understood?"

"You got it uncle Jay," North replied saluting him.

I just sighed and said, "Ok dad."

They walked off disappearing in the direction of dads office. North grabbed my hand and dragged me to my room saying hi to my mom who was coming down the stairs. Once inside my room she closed the door and gave me a smirk. I knew she had something up her sleeve.

I cut my eyes at her and asked, "What's up your sleeve North?"

She laughed and replied, "What makes you think I have something up my sleeve?"

I fell back on my bed and added, "I know you. So what's the deal?"

"Well, there is a party. Just not the one I told my dad about?" she said jumping on the bed.

I jumped up and pushed her, "You can't be serious. We just got back in the good graces of our overprotective overbearing fathers after the stunt we pulled. Don't go there, I know that was my plan"

Before I could continue she cut me off and said, "Exactly. That was your plan. So with that being said you technically owe me one. So what do you say?"

"I say we're gonna get our asses beat. I don't know about this North," I replied.

She nodded her head and said, "It's not as bad as you're thinking. It's not in a club and it's not in a house in the middle of nowhere. My friend from Cali has a cousin out here and invited us to a party in Philly. I knew if we say we were staying with Juelz we could go."

I looked at her crazy. She had really lost her mind.

"You've really lost it. Why the hell would Juelz let us stay with him or cover for us for that matter?" I asked.

She shrugged and replied, "Hey it's worth a try."

I looked at her like she was a nut and then she burst out laughing. She was laughing so hard that tears were streaming down her eyes.

I stood up and stared at her and said, "Ok, I'm lost. What the hell is so funny?"

She finally took a breath from laughing so hard and replied, "I was just joking with you. There's no way in hell I'm trying to get on the bad side of Kanye and Kim West again. No thanks, I'll pass. I do know that this guy I like will be at this said party and so will the one you like."

My face lit up knowing she was talking about Cameron.

"That's cool. Cam and I are just friends though. There's nothing there. I don't think he likes me like that," I replied nonchalantly.

Nori sat silent for a minute before responding, "He likes you. He likes you more than you think."

"Really?" I asked.

She shook her head at me and responded, "You think that he doesn't like you? Why? Because he hasn't asked you out? He has to be somewhat interested for him to have been talking to you for over a year. Guys are slow and maybe he doesn't want a relationship right now."

"Exactly. He doesn't want a relationship so why lead me on. Why should I wait around and wait for him to ask me out. There's other guys out there that want to get with me. I need to get over Cameron and find someone who wants me for me," I said.

North laughed before replying, "Keep lying to yourself. If you were interested in anybody else you would be around that person all the time and not Cameron. Cameron really likes you and let you bump elbows with another dude at this party and it'll be some problems."

I sucked my teeth and said, "Please. He won't be bothered by me at that party."

North rolled her eyes and responded, "Yeah ok. This party should be interesting."

"We don't even have an answer yet," I said heading towards my closet.

North laid back on my bed and said, "Oh, we're going. That's why you're headed to your closet to look for an outfit."

LATER THAT NIGHT

After a stern lecture from both my dad and uncle Ye we were told we could go to the party. Egypt would be there along with Cameron and my dad has made them spies to watch us. Really?

My dad and Cameron are cordial to each other. Cameron is cool with Jr. and my mom loves him. He's become a fixture ever since he sat down and talked to my dad. I don't know what was said. All I do know is that they spent about a half hour in his office the night I invited him, well was told to invite him to dinner. Cameron came out alive so all was well.

I decided on a romper and white converse. Maybe not the smartest color for shoes, but I also didn't want to wear sandals at this house party. I really didn't know what I was walking into, but then again it couldn't be that bad if my dad was letting me go.

I was in the midst of putting on my makeup and deciding what accessories to wear when I heard a knock on my door. I yelled come in and my dad came in and sat on my bed.

"Hey dad, wassup" I said as I continued to apply my eyeshadow.

"I came up to tell you I'll be dropping you off at Ye and Kim's penthouse in the city and then Ye will have a driver take you to this party. You'll be staying there since Nori pleaded and your mother and I will pick you up in the morning," he said.

"Cool," I said standing up and walking to my mirror.

I sighed at what I saw. Maybe I need to dress up a little more.

"You look beautiful Blue. Get the thoughts out of your head. Cameron will think you look beautiful as well. If he doesn't he's a dumb ass.," my dad said.

I whipped my head in his direction to see him with a smirk on his face.

"What are you talking about? I'm not thinking about Cameron," I said with a touch of attitude.

My dad chuckled and responded, "Baby girl I see right through you. I know I'm your dad and you usually talk girl stuff and boys with your mom, but you can talk to me too. I'll be open minded."

I started laughing as my dad tried to be serious.

"Dad, that's nice. Seriously though, I'm trying not to think about Cameron. He's not that interested in me anyway," I said sitting back in my vanity chair.

"Blue, that boy likes you trust me, but you can never force someone to be in a relationship with you. When the time is right, it'll happen. Also, don't go throwing yourself at other guys just Cameron to make up his mind. You could end up ruining the friendship that you have. I'm pretty sure you know what throwing yourself at random guys can lead to and I know you're better than that. Focus on you and everything else will fall into place in due time," he said and stood up.

"Thanks dad," I said with a smile.

He smiled back and said, "Anytime. I'll be downstairs."

He left and I finished getting ready. I don't know why, but I'm nervous about being around Cameron tonight. Not sure why, but I can't shake this feeling.