Accountability

|Jr.'s POV|

I was really hoping that I could get this tournament out the way before my parents found out. I didn't really care if they did, I'd take the lecture/ass beating after my team got that W. As much as I would've wanted that to happen, of course my dad tracked me down. I'm pretty sure they found out from Blue. I can't even fault her. My parents probably tag teamed her to get the information.

It took forever for us to get home. That was fine by me. My dad wasn't saying anything. He was on his phone doing whatever. I was on mine looking at whatever. Surprisingly he hadn't taken it. Once we arrived home, I walked in to a quiet house. My dad pointed for me to go into the living room. There my mom was and she wasn't happy.

"Hey mommy."

"Hey mommy? That's what you have to say? You sneak out of this house not once but twice in less than 12 hours and you stroll in talking about some "hey mommy?" Sit your ass down!"

I did as told and my dad walked in.

"Where's the other 3?" he asked my mom as he took a seat.

"Rihmeek came by to see Blue and they left not too long ago. The twins are down for a nap, thank God."

I sat there silent. There wasn't anything for me to say unless I was spoken to.

"What did I tell you last night when I caught you sneaking back in the house?"

"Stop right there," my mom cut in.

I readjusted my self on the couch. If I could sink any further into my seat, I'd disappear. There is nothing like a lecture from Beyoncé. Nothing like it. She rivals my grandmother. Say all y'all want about her not talking a lot during interviews, I'd take that woman any day. Beyoncé as a mom? Y'all will never know.

"Your father told both you and your sister to stay in your rooms yesterday. To be honest, if you would've roamed around the house all day, it wouldn't have been a big deal. But no. What did you do? You snuck out! You just do whatever the hell you want as if we don't have rules in place."

My dad started rubbing her leg as if that would calm her down. Once she gets going, she doesn't stop. It's like she thinks up the whole scenario in her head before she goes off.

"Now, answer your fathers question. What did he tell you? I was asleep, as you should have been since I'm pretty sure it was well after midnight when you strolled your ass in here. Matter of fact, no. Don't even answer what the hell he told you last night. Where did you go? Don't even think of lying because you're the poster child of TMZ this morning."

Of course TMZ found out. Of course.

"I went to my friends party last night. It was his 21st birthday party and yeah it was at a club. I wasn't even there that long to be honest."

"You weren't supposed to be there in the first place! Did you ask?!"

I sucked my teeth which was a wrong move. My mom lunged at me. She was so close to slapping me, but my dad had pulled her back and out of the living room. I heard them going back and forth for a minute or two before coming back into view.

"We're going to try this again. Bey, we can't have a conversation with you spazzing out. It's not going to get us anywhere. Jr., no extra shit when you're asked something. Understood?"

"Yes sir."

"Bey, can we continue?"

My mom just nodded.

"Now, as your mother said, no you weren't supposed to be out regardless of how long you planned to be there. You didn't ask us, hell even tell us about your friend having a party."

"I just don't understand Jr. I really don't. Your father and I give you so much freedom. The reason we've been on your ass lately is because of how you've been acting. You have way more leniency than your sister ever did when she was in high school. Yet, here you are taking advantage of that," my mom added.

"So, like I originally asked you, what did I tell you last night?"

"You told me I was grounded."

"What part of that didn't you understand?"

"I heard you, but I had already promised my boys that I'd play in the tournament with them.

My mom was clenching her fist. Pretty sure she was trying her hardest not to hit me.

"Jr., since when do your boys control anything in his house?"

"Ma, they don't. I'm not saying they did. I just had something already planned and figured it'd be okay for me to go since it was basketball."

My dad cut in, "Don't even use that as an excuse. We've never permitted you to be at any tournament that we don't know about, especially one in Compton."

He was right. I knew they wouldn't go for it, but I took my chances anyway.

"You're right. I apologize."

No sense in fighting with them. I knew I would be in trouble for this. I have to play my cards right though. Why continue to dig a deeper hole for myself?

"Why should we accept your apology?" my mom asked.

"You don't have any reason to. I know my actions as of late haven't really the best."

"Damn right about that."

"So, am I in trouble?"

They both gave me a look. I'll take that as a yes.

"Do you care if you are?"

"Yeah, I do. I don't wake up and go out of my way to disrespect you guys. I know how I'm moving isn't being respectful of the rules you and mom have, I apologized for that. I'm taking accountability for what I did. What else do you want me to do?"

"Well for one, stop acting stupid. You know right from wrong. If you can sit here and tell us you knew we wouldn't approve, but you did it anyway, that goes to show you that you do," my mom said.

"I'm not going to go back and forth about this. I already grounded you. Clearly that didn't work. We take away basketball, but you just decide to sneak out and do whatever you want anyway. So, what's the point in wasting my breath?"

"Dad..."

He held up his hand to stop me.

"Nope. You don't want to listen? Fine. You want to do things your way and see if it works?"

"Maybe that's what he needs," my mom added.

"Conversation over then. You're free to go."

Wait, hold up. No punishment? I could've stayed at the game for all that.

"So, I get to do what I want? What's the catch?"

My mom rolled her eyes, "You won't catch this ass whoopin. Your father said you're free to go, so excuse yourself."

Shit, don't have to tell me twice. I got up and went to my bedroom and looked around to see if all my shit was still here. Surprisingly it was. I remember when they did this with Blue. They not gon catch me slipping.