Looking Out

"Krist," Singto turned to Krist, as the teacher for their last class was bidding them farewell.

"P'?"

"Are you going home right after class?"

"Yes P'. P'Nammon is walking with me as usual. Why P'?"

"Oh nothing. I'll go ahead, my Por is waiting for me at the gate now. See you tomorrow." As was becoming Singto's habit, he ruffled Krist hair as he said goodbye.

"Krist, I'll go to the restroom and find you later. Wait for me OK?"

"Yes P'Nammon. I'll meet you at the gate."

Krist was playing with his phone while waiting for Nammon. He didn't notice a group of students gathering around him.

"Hey!" said a harsh voice which made Krist look up. "Why are you always hanging around P'Singto! Stay away from him!" the sophomore from earlier said. He was with 3 friends, who were all bigger and taller than Krist. The sophomore himself was at least 2 inches taller than Krist. "Did you hear me? I said stay away from P'Singto. Stop clinging to him. If I find out you tattled to him about this, we will beat you up." With that the group of sophomores turned around.

"Who was that Krist?" Nammon said as he was jogging towards Krist. "What did they want?"

"Um... Nothing P'. They were asking about... Um... They just wanted to know if P'singto has already gone home."

"Then why do you look paler than normal? Did they say anything rude to you?"

"No P'. I told you. They were asking about P'Singto. Let's go home. It's getting late."

"OK Nong Krist. If there's anything, you tell me, OK?"

The next day, Nammon saw Krist walking to their classroom. The group of sophomores from yesterday were sitting at the bench near their room, staring at Krist. He can see Krist looking back at the group and walking faster. With the scene before him, his suspicions were confirmed.

"Singto."

"Nammon?" Singto smiled at his friend, thinking the joker Nammon was going to say something funny.

"You better watch out for Krist."

Hearing this, Singto turned serious. "Why do you say that Nammon?"

"Remember the sophomore that came yesterday to give you gifts? The one with the flowers?"

"What about him?"

"I saw him with his friends yesterday talking to Krist at the gate while I was coming out of the restroom. Krist looked shaken and pale when they left. You know what I'm saying?" Nammon, the joker said seriously.

"I hear you Nammon. And don't worry."

"P's, I'm going to the food stall, you guys want anything?" Krist said, as they were sitting around their table at lunch.

"I'll go with you Krist." Singto said, as he turned to Nammon, who was looking at the group of sophomores standing by the food stall. He can see why Krist would be wary of the sophomores. They were all bigger than Krist.

"No need P'Sing. It's just there."

"I'll go with you Krist. The guys want drinks. You can't carry them all." Singto turned to Nammon. "Guys, drinks?"

"Yeah Singto. Get me a glass of Ice Coffee." Hearing Nammon, Ice and New gave their orders too.

"See, too much for you to carry. I'll help you."

"OK P'."

As the two were walking to the food stall, Singto asked "So Krist, are those the ones that are scaring you?"

Krist turned to where Singto was looking. "Um P'... how did you know?"

"Doesn't matter Krist. Why didn't you tell me?"

"It wasn't important P'. They weren't really going to hurt me."

"Doesn't matter Krist. I want you to tell me these things. I told you right? That I'll take care of you? So tell me next time, OK?" With that, Singto put his arm on Krist's shoulder, steering the younger man towards the food stall with the sophomores. He purposely stopped in front of the sophomores. "You." Singto addressed the sophomore that threatened Krist.

"P'." Krist said. He was worried about the interaction. He didn't know what Singto had planned.

"Yes P'Singto?" The sophomore said sweetly, glancing pointedly from the arm draped on Krist's shoulder to Krist, then back to Singto. His expression changing drastically, from mean to all sugar when they came to Singto.

"I heard you were scaring Krist here." Singto brought Krist's body closer to him. "I want you to stop." The sophomore's face fell. "If I ever hear about you threatening Krist, or even speaking to him, you won't like the outcome. Are we clear?" Singto turned around, with Krist still plastered to his side, not bothering to get a response from the sophomore.

"P', why did you do that? You didn't have to be harsh to them."

"I wasn't harsh Krist. I just warned them not to bother you."

"You didn't have to P'. I can take care of myself."

"You don't have to. That's why I'm here." Singto smiled at Krist with his arm still on the younger man's shoulder.