Destination

"We're not at my house P'." Krist said as he got out of the car.

"No we're not." Singto closed the door as soon as Krist cleared it. "We're at a canteen, halfway to your house." He placed his hand at Krist's lower back, giving a slight push to get the man going.

"I see... but why are we not home?"

"To get dinner."

"But I'm not hungry."

"And I am."

"Oh. OK."

Singto greeted the canteen staff then directed them to a vacant table.

Krist was embarassed. He was thinking only of himself and not of his P'. In his desire to get home, he did not consider that Singto might be hungry, even if he himself was not. He wanted to make it up to his P' and was was determined to make this dinner not about him.

They got their menus then the server came for their orders.

"What's good here P'?" Krist asked with a bit more enthusiasm than was necessary.

"Everything actually. But their Khao man gai is really good."

"Hmm.. chicken rice? Sounds good! I'll have that." Krist turned to the server, then to Singto with the sweetest smile he could muster.

Singto was momentarily stunned but shook his head and ordered "I'll have the same. One glass of Nomyen and plain water for me please." He ordered, all the while looking at Krist.

When the server left with their orders, Krist placed his chin on his had, elbow on the table. "Aw... Nomyen. P'is always so thoughtful." What did I just say?

"For you, always." Singto replied. "What happened?"

"What do you mean P'?"

"Come on Krist, you were happily eating ice cream one moment then you want to go home the next? What's up?"

"Oh that. Um.. You caught that huh?"

"The mood shift is kind of hard to miss, yes. So?"

"Um.. I was... I was thinking."

"About?"

What do I say? "College." There. Safe.

"How did you know?"

"Know?"

"About Japan."

"..."

"I just found out yesterday. I talked to my Por last night and we've talked about exploring it. Sorry I didn 't tell you sooner. It's just that I'm not entirely sure myself."

"You're going to Japan?"

"Yes. For college."

"You're going away for college?"

"Yes."

"To Japan."

"Yes. Isn't that what you were worried about?"

"I was talking about going to college in DIFFERENT SCHOOLS. And you're telling me you're not only going to a different school, but to a different country?"

"Yes."

"You're leaving to leave me P'?"

"I haven't decided yet."

"It looks like you have. Are you going to finish college there?"

"It's only for a year. They offered me a one year scholarship. After that I can choose to stay or comeback here."

"I see."

"Do you not want me to go?"

"No. Of course not. I mean it's not my call P'. I don't have a say on it."

"You do, actually."

"Well then of course you should go. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity."

"Oh. OK."

"And it's a scholarship. I don't think they give too much of those away to international students, do they?"

"No."

"See? You should definitely consider it." Don't go. "It would be foolish to let it go." Stay. "What did your Por say?"

"Pretty much the same thing."

"Besides, it's just for a year." I'll miss you. "I... we'll be here when you come back."

"Krist."

"No. No. It's a great opportunity. You deserve it. Promise me you'll consider it."

"But Krist."

"P', it's one year. What can happen in a year?"

"A lot."

"Just think about it."

As they were talking, their food came, and was left untouched. Krist forced himself to take a spoonful of his food. "You were right P'. This Khao man gai is awesome." He forced a smile. "Eat up P', food's getting cold."

Singto can see Krist trying hard to change their topic, he'll give him that. He took his spoon and fork and started eating. "There's this gelatto place down the road, let's go there after. I want you to try their Khan Ciocolatte flavor. You'll love it."

"That sounds yummy. Let's go there. How'd you find out about these places anyway?"

"I pass by here everyday on my way home from your house."

"Huh.."

"Yup. I stopped by one time and immediately liked their food."

"And the gelatto place?"

"Oh. A group of girls were eating here one time and talked to me. They mentioned the gelatto place and invited me to come join them for dessert."

"I'm done eating P'. Are you finished? Let's go home."

"I thought you wanted gelatto after?"

"I'm allergic to gelatto."