The Arranged Deal

"What kind of ridiculous question was that? You needed to ask that? No the answer is no. Got it?" An irritated, disgusted looking Mr. Jayce spoke.
What the crunch? Did I say it aloud? No.
Then?
Telepathy?

Oh gosh, then, what m I gonna do? Professor Snape? Can you please teach me occlumency? I don't want him to know my secrets.
"Miss Stanford?"
"Which question?" I asked neutrally.
He pursed his lips and then gritted, "The one in which you questioned my manhood."
My mouth wanted to form an 'o'. Thank god. I'm saved, sorry to disturb ya, Snape guy. Anyways, I said,"oh, actually he said that so I thought." I couldn't stop the smile forming on my lips but I did, nonetheless.
He just shook his head at me and continued with our work.

"It's late now, I guess. You should probably get back home." He said after sometime.
I looked up from the file I was looking at. It was something related to places and I didn't understand it a bit. He was looking mean as always.
"It's.." I glanced at my watch to see the time 11:05. "..eleven. Yeah I shall leave. How many days would it take to start the work?" I asked getting up.
"As soon as you choose the places, we can move towards the designing part. Then it can start." He replied solemnly.
I nodded and turned to leave but looked as if he had something to say.
"Miss Stanford I wanted to talk about our parents' proposal." He said making a firm eye contact with me.
I turned and gestured him to go ahead. "You said you'll have a talk with mom, which you haven't till now, I guess." He said.
"Yes, I couldn't." I replied.
"I just want to tell you that if we get married, we are not going to be a hindrance in each other's paths. You shall head in your way and me in mine. Nothing between us would be like married couple. We'll just be married in name." He finished and once again started peeping into my blank pools through his.
"Yes, of course." And I headed out.
Who is interested, huh? Not me you WholeGlass. I kept thinking about different problems while I drove back home. It was late and I hoped mom was asleep. Please god.
"Where have you been Eve? It's past 11:30." Moms voice hollered through the living room as I entered feeling like a teenager returning late from a party.
"Mom I had something really important to do."
I said not facing her.
"What did you say to Alex? That you have a boyfriend. And whom were you with? I sent you on a date with Steve. Where have you been? Alex doesn't want to marry you anymore. Now you have to marry Steve. This is my final decision." She said breathlessly. Enough.
"Enough Mom. I'm an adult and I would want you to treat me like one. For god's sake. It is my l.. choice whether I want to get married or not. It's not as easy as buying a candy or balancing an equation that it would be a hit and try and I would get it. I need time ok. And for your kind information it was Mr Jayce who chose to act as my boyfriend. I didn't ask him. And I'd rather have married a mummy than him. Now please leave me alone." I finally let everything out and huffed. I knew she would be angry like hell but still. Dad came into the room and I guess Ava and Lil had left for Matt's.
Dad looked at my hulk version and then mom's superior hulk's version. "You don't know how to talk to your mom, right Evelyn Stanford. Ok then don't speak to me. But make this clear. You have to get married and we are your parents, not your enemies to choose anything wrong for you. Think and tell me the answer right in the morning. And don't think I can't visit your office." She shouted and left me standing and gaping. I gulped hard and looked at dad. My hero save me please.
"Eve.. come here." He said sitting on the couch and patting the space beside him.
"Dad can we please go to my room?" I asked him.
"Sure princess." I smiled weakly at him and then scurried towards my room.
"Dad, I'm ti.." I said once changed into my pjs and tied my hair into a bun, but he put a finger on my lips.
"No daughter. You can not be tired. You are my Eve, aren't you? I don't wanna hear that. You are my strength. What did you call me?" He said as I let out muffled laugh due to my head buried into his shoulder.
"Superdad, my super hero." I smiled at the memory.
"Yeah and what did I call you?"
"You still do. Princess." I said grinning.
"But you don't." He faked hurt. God this man is the best in the world. My mom is also nice but as they say, either your mom or dad has to be strict so..
"No dad. You still are. But dad hell is going on in my life." I said coming back to present.
He smiled again. I gave him a questioning look.
"You have always said that." He answered.
"But dad this is different. You see I don't want this. And do you want this? Can you give your princess to a villain. Like a lizardman like him?" I said.
He started laughing again. Dad.
"Lizardman? Oh god Eve. Really? He's not that ugly and I don't think you're afraid of him. I mean you were afraid of that creature right?" He said.
"Dad I'm serious. And yeah I hated it, so do I do to him. I hate him." I said irritated remembering both ugly.. I mean one overall ugly and amother ugly hearted, creatures.
"Oh come on princess. Ok serious talk. You know the day you were born, I took your responsibility. I was your King as you say and you were my princess. Now you see your King had only two precious treasures. His queen and his princess. 1:2 won't be fair so enter your stupid brother. Your King is now old and isn't sure if he can take good care of you so I too need to let my princess go to another prince who is actually a King and will make you his queen." He said explaining it to me as if I was still that small, little girl who was eagerly listening to her bedtime story.
"So take your time and tell me. If you don't like anything particular about him or something. You need not worry yourself. Ok. Was he rude today as well?" He asked.
"No not that much. Dad the deal worked out you know after he said that it would not be affected by our relations. You know I had a meeting today itself and I'm really happy about it." I told him.
He studied me and then spoke, "Then? Why don't you wanna marry him? He doesn't seem to be nepotistic."
I looked down and then mumbled, "Because I'm afraid to lose my freedom."
"What? Oh no Eve. Marriage doesn't mean losing freedom, until you are a player." He smirked while I narrowed my eyes.
"Which you obviously aren't. Let me complete. Don't start glaring at me without listening." He joked.
I felt lighter and somewhat less messed up.
"But mom?" I said
"Don't worry think over it and tell me whenever you want and whatever you want."
"What do you say?" I asked.
"That you should do it. Now Go to sleep. Early to bed.." He said getting up.
"Yeah dad. Good night."