What's the use?

~~~Eve's POV~~~

"Lyn. L...Lyn wait. Don't leave me." He muttered in sleep.
I opened my eyes.

I adjusted his covers. He raised his hand. "Listen to me..." He tried to get up.
I stared at him. I won't touch him. No.

I still feel how I dragged him inside and put him on this bed. God! He weighs a ton. I haven't touched him. I didn't want to. I just sat there. Mia was home but I didn't go out. I didn't want her to know that her mother was weak enough to give up.

He kept shuffling.

My hand went to his loosened tie and I tried to take it out. It would trouble him. The illogical madness that took over me made me do it. I slipped my hand in under his head and took out the tie. "Ma...am I need to go...." He shook. I'd taken out his coat. My hand came in contact with his neck and I jerked.

He was burning. He was having high fever. What could I do?

I opened his shirt's top button after retreating my hand a number of times.
A sinful thought crossed my mind and I shifted back.

I won't touch him.
You b!tch. He is not well.

But still.

I walked out carefully shutting the door behind me. Wandering into the kitchen, I began cooking something for Mia. I was not hungry.

Shall I call the doctor? I can treat him but I don't think I should touch him. No.

But what if his condition worsens?

Do I care?

Damn it! I do.

"What are you doing mum?" Mia hugged me from behind.  
"Cooking food for my daughter." I replied.

She told me about her day and I smiled back, commenting about it. I liked some of her friends.

"Dad left." She said.

I remained silent.

"Mom please talk to him. He looked so..."
"Mia can we let him go? He isn't your dad." I said.
She ignored me. Once I'd made her dinner, she ate it silently while I played with random things, the table cloth, the fabric of my shirt, my hair.

"Can I sleep with you?" She looked up.
"Uh..." I stood still.
"Of course I can." She scurried to my room.

Before I could stop, she entered.
"Mom! Dad!?" She shouted.
"Shh!" Impulse.
"You knew?" She whispered.
I looked at her. I nodded.

She walked upto him. "Mom he is burning. Do something."
"I won't touch him." I replied.
"Mom! Ughgh! What's wrong? Just help him out. He .. He can die if the fever any how affects his brain." She cried.
"Oh no!" I tried to sound confident.
Guess what?

I failed.
"Mom! You are going to help him or... Wait! I'll call Andad." She threatened.
"And how is that jerk supposed to help you?"