II. A LEWD COMMENT

A LEWD COMMENT!

SEPTEMBER 1976

6th Year

• • • •

"Oh, my God," Holland smiled, looking at the Bowtruckles in a big tree in the grass by the black lake, "They are so cute,"

"They look like stick insects," Maxine said, scrunching her nose up in disgust.

"Yes, if stick insects looked like grass," Bronwyn said, giving her red-headed friend a look.

"Alright children," Professor Kettleburn said, grabbing everyone's attention, "Gather round, gather round," The man waited until everyone had crowded around him before speaking again, "Now, today we are going to be looking at Bowtruckles. I know last year we sketched them, but this year, we are going to be taking care of them,"

Students began smiling and talking to each other before Professor Kettleburn quietened them again.

"Now, I will be putting you in partners, so don't go thinking that you can just go with whoever you want," He said, making everyone groan, "Once I give you your partner, one of you will come and get either some wood lice or fairy eggs to lure it away from the tree," Kettleburn instructed and his student nodded, "Okay, so, the pairs are: Miss. Conoway and Miss. Ortolano, Miss. Evans and Mr. Potter, Mr. Lupin and Mr. Black, Miss. Lux and Mr. Pettigrew, Miss. Lestrange and Mr. Rosier..." The man kept reading out names, but the three Slytherins tuned him out as they turned to each other.

"Oh, thank God," Maxine breathed out as she looked at her friends - who giggled at the redhead, who was looking at Lily, "You know, I actually feel sorry for Evans," She said.

"You do?" Bronwyn asked, her gaze landing on Lily.

"Can you blame her," Holland said to the girl, also looking in Lily's direction, "Potter is a nuisance to anyone, especially Evans. All she's going to hear is: 'Evans, go out with me.' or 'My beautiful Lilyflower...'" She joked, making her friends laugh.

"Alright!" Kettleburn called out, "Get into your partners!"

"Wish me luck," Holland smiled at her friends before walking in Peter's direction.

***

"Jesus, Pete," James said as he, Sirius, Peter and Remus were walking away from Care of Magical Creatures, "You look like you've seen a ghost," The glasses clad boy told him.

"Are you alright, Peter?" Remus asked his friend.

"Y-Yeah," Peter stuttered, "Yeah, I'm fine,"

"Then what's wrong?" Remus asked.

"Was it Lux?" Sirius asked, anger in his eyes, "I swear, if it was, I'll-,"

"No, no, she didn't do anything mean?" Peter cut off his friend.

"Then what did she do?" James asked Peter.

"Nothing," Peter told the group, "That's why I'm confused," He confessed.

"So?" Remus shrugged, "This just means she's not a prejudice pureblood," He said.

Sirius looked at him, shocked, "You hurt me, Moony," He said, "You really do,"

Meanwhile, a couple of yards behind the boys, Holland, Maxine and Bronwyn were smiling as they left the lesson.

"By far, the best lesson I have ever had," Maxine smiled at the girls - who looked at her weirdly.

"Weren't you the one disgusted by the Bowtruckles not one hour ago?" Holland asked.

"Shut up," Maxine mumbled, making her friends laugh.

"Was it Lux?" The voice of Sirius Black asked, catching the girls' attention and for a small frown to appear on the raven-haired Slytherin's haired face, "I swear, if it was, I'll-,"

"No, no, she didn't do anything mean?" Peter thankfully interrupted the boy, and for Holland's frown to lift slightly.

"Then what did she do?" James Potter asked Peter.

"Do you want us to intervene?" Bronwyn muttered into her friend's ear.

"No," Holland quietly answered, shaking her head.

"Nothing," The trio heard Peter say, "That's why I'm confused," He continued.

"What?" Holland asked to herself, looking down at her shoes.

"So?" Remus Lupin shrugged, making Holland's head snap up and for her to look at the boy with confusion, "This just means she's not a prejudice pureblood," He said and Holland couldn't help the smile that formed on her face boy's words.

"You hurt me, Moony," The group then heard Sirius say, "You really do,"

Finally having enough of Sirius Black not only insulting her best friend, but all Slytherins, Maxine picked up her speed in walking and pushed past the group the boys, making stop their walking as Holland followed slowly behind the girls.

"Excuse me," The Irish girl mumbled before picking up her pace even more and walking side by side with her friends.

"I think she heard you," James said, looking at Sirius.

***

"I mean, can you believe him?!" Maxine exclaimed at dinner later that night, before turning to her Irish friend, "How are you not even bothered by this?" She asked.

"Because," Holland shrugged, "Slytherin purebloods have had prejudice thrown towards them for years, especially my family. I've gotten used to it," The raven haired girl explained.

"That doesn't change the fact that Black is still a huge prick," The ginger countered.

"What have I done?" Regulus asked as he sat down next to Holland, Bellatrix, Severus, Lucius and Narcissa in tow.

"Not you," Holland told her best friend, softly, "It's your idiot of a brother," She said, making the youngest Black sibling roll his eyes.

"What did he do?" Narcissa - who was sitting on the other side of Holland asked.

"He just made a lewd comment because I'm a pureblood Slytherin," The girl answered, taking a bite of her food.

"Prick," Regulus muttered.

"That's exactly what I said," Maxine told him, making Bronwyn - who was sat next to the redhead - laugh.