highway-to-hell

Soft, relaxing music you can really get in to.

So much leg room.

A smile on the face of every passenger. Wouldn't it be great if all road trips were as easy as car commercials make them seem? In these commercials, everything is sunshine and rainbows on the inside while everything on the outside is beautiful and dynamic. In reality though, there's (barely) controlled chaos in the backseat, horrible "parent-approved" music, and the same view of a generic field outside your window for five hours.

Sure, road trips can be bearable if the conditions are fine on the inside, or it's not too long; however, as fate would have it, you have to deal with both scenarios brought to an eleven.

How do you even do a road trip wedged uncomfortably close to your siblings on top of terrible music? Well dear reader, we're about to find out. Hopefully, we can help before you reach total insanity.

WHAT WAS SAID ABOVE:

Sound Barrier:
Sure, maybe you've heard the wheels on the bus ten on a loop already, but just because it's the song that's currently playing doesn't mean that you have to listen to it. As appealing as "Let it Go" ten thousand more times sounds, if you thought ahead and brought headphones, you can be 1000% covered.

(A/N: Anyone fall instantly in love with Dylan O'brien version? )

Now, you can listen to your music. Of course, there's still bumping and no personal space, but at least you can be mildly distracted by your favorite performer. Heck, listen to Bob Ross's dulcet tones to help. Happy accidents, right?

Snooze Button:
Perhaps it's wishful thinking, but an option is to try to sleep. Sure, there's no way to sleep while making sure your neck is correctly supported and not flopping everywhere whenever you hit the tiniest of bumps, but maybe if you try hard enough, you can at least get some form of rest. Let's just hope your siblings don't mind that you'll be leaning on them for extended periods of time.

Anarchy:
If you can't beat them, join them, and sometimes, the best way to deal with a situation is to just let things happen. You can't stop everything from going chaotic so channel your inner stereotypical teenager and join the . Throw an impromptu party with your fellow backseat-dwellers. Might as well have fun if you're stuck there, right?

Phone time:
You know what's great about modern technology? If you want to tune out the rest of the world, it's completely possible. Just grab your phone and pretend that there's not four more hours left in the trip. Play some games, do some light reading, or catch up on the latest social media gossip. Whatever you do, we pray that your battery lasts long enough to endure the duration of the trip. Best of luck, dear readers.

Ride or Die:
All of the options have been "safe" and "practical", but when the situation becomes dire enough, who cares about either of those things. Throw caution to the wind and roll out. Hopefully you'll tuck and roll out of the side of the car that isn't immediately in the road, but if not, a leisurely turtle craw should suffice. As soon as you're there, and your family has decided to not come for you, you need a game plan. Your options include, but are not limited to, hitchhiking and using that handy dandy smartphone of yours to gps your way to your final destination. You'll probably see your family again. Hopefully.

◼⬛◼
What's your favourite thing about a road trip?