Chapter 4

There was a knock at the door.  I put the mirror back where it had been laying and ran my hand through my hair, the white tips were still there.  I looked at my back and saw that my tail was still there.  There were voices outside the door, I could hear them clear as day.  "Your sure, you hear a scream Naomi?"  It sounded like a guys' voice.  

"Yes dad.  I was in the bathroom.  I'm sure it was a scream.  It sounded like a person.  Only the wolf pup mom brought home was in there."  Naomi's voice was concerned.  The doorknob jiggled.  "Well the doors locked."  There was another knock.  This time after the knock, there was a sigh.  I took a few steps forward.  I looked to my back, I saw that my wings had disappeared.  

Now all that was different was the ears and tail, which I could not make go away.  I put my hand on the doorknob and felt for the lock.  I twisted it and then the knob.  The little girl, Naomi, was starting at it.  She looked to be ten or so.  Naomi was taller then me by about half a foot.  She smiled as I stepped around the door.  "Hi, I'm Naomi.  By any chance did you see a small little wolf pup in there?  She had a black coat and a white diamond on her forehead."  She didn't seem to mention my ears and tail.

 I realized that they were gone.  I half smiled back.  "I'm Storm.  And I did see the pup your talking about."  I stepped back into the room and Naomi followed.  "Where is she?"  I left the door open.  I closed my eyes and tried to summon my ears and tail.  I felt them come out and heard a gasp from Naomi as she saw them.  I felt my cheeks heat up as someone else came into the room.  It was Everest.

 Her clothes had been changed.  Her blue eyes looked worried.  Her smile was as warm as I remembered it.  "Glad to see you found your half human form, Storm."  My answering smile was bright.  I wasn't sure how my form had changed but I was glad I could speak for myself now.  There was the sound of someone clearing their throat.  His hair was red, his eyes were orange.  

His clothes included a red shirt with a black pair on jeans.  He didn't say anything, after just watching me for a few seconds he left.  Everest rolled her eyes.  "Sorry about Red.  He's just saying, in a silent way, that breakfast is ready.  I'm sure you must be hungry.  It's pancakes today.  Everyone, well mostly everyone, left.  It's just Shelby and Ross down stairs.  Their the ones making the pancakes, well Shelby is making pancakes while Ross tries to help.  You've already seen Red.  The others won't come around until later tonight."  I nodded once.   I remembered from when all those people were trying to see me and how two of them seemed to be holding hands.  

Naomi followed Everest through the door.  I hesitated and then followed them.  The three of us went down the stairs.  Everest and Naomi had no problem walking down.  I waited for them to reach the bottom before I started to walk down.  I gripped the handrail and took it one step at a time.  Even considering how careful I was being it didn't stop my bad luck from acting up.  

My left foot slipped off the stair below me.  My grip on the rail failed.  I ended up tumbling down the rest of the stair case.  When I stood up, I saw that every pair of eyes was on me.  I felt my cheeks heat up as I tried to avoid their stares.  "Are you ok?"  I looked up to see a guy in a green sweater, with a squirrel on it, in front of me.  I nodded quickly.  This must have been Ross.  He put his hand on my shoulder.

"Are you sure?  That was quite a fall."  I shook his hand off.  I saw a look of hurt cross his eyes before he hid it.  I didn't join everyone in the kitchen, instead I sat down in front of a grey box on a couch.  I stared at the black screen for a full five minutes before realizing that it was a TV set.  I really have been out of touch from the real world for far to long haven't I?  Someone sat next to me, I could feel their weight on the couch.  I looked over to see the other girl, Shelby, Everest had said her name was.  She held out a plate of pancakes.  I took it and smiled back.  

My ears and tail hadn't gone away on their own yet.  I tore a piece off the top pancake off and ate it.  A maple flavor flooded my mouth.  I had pancakes only once before.  They didn't taste anything like these.  I hadn't realized I was so hungry.  The plate was empty before I knew it.

 I stood up and walked slowly to the sink, I placed the plate in it and turned on the water.  I grabbed the sponge and started to rise the syrup off.  After the plate seemed clean enough, I stood up on my tippy toes and found the cabinet where the other plates were.  I grabbed a sheet of the paper towels to dry my hands off.  I looked up to see everyone at the table staring at me.  I threw the paper towel in the trash can and opened the door.  

Closing it behind me, I looked for somewhere I could go.  I decided to go from the back for the house.  I ran towards the back of the house.  I could see bushes that were over flowing with flowers.  I walked over to them.  Pushing some hanging branches aside, I found a hidden pasture.  It was full of dozens of types of flowers.  I found a clear area and sat down.  

There was a rustling in the bushes but I ignored it.  I picked up a rose and smelled it.  It's scent reminded me of Ashley.  I knew that she would be worried by now.  I just hope that she wasn't going crazy.  Ashley if you can hear me, know that I'm Ok.  I knew it was useless to try a mind link, only people who were powerful enough could use them properly, but I wanted to try.