Chapter 8

Hyria led us into her house, or cottage, and into what looked like was a living room.  Everest didn't set me down until Hyria brought out a small cover.  I wasn't sure what was going to happen.  I looked up at Everest, she didn't look down.  I sat up slowly.

 The pain in my leg was going down slowly.  It wasn't as bad now, it was bearable.  I slowly walked over to the cover and sniffed it.  I yelped as I saw a wolf leap out at me.  I took a step back and fell off the couch.  The wolf was red, it eyes orange.  The forest around it was one fire.  I knew this couldn't be real.  This had to be fake.  But I could feel the fires heat.  The wolf ran though the flames to me.  Who are you and why are you here, pup?  It's voice was in my head!  "I don't know.  One second I was somewhere else and now I'm here."  There was a growl.  The scene shifted into a yard in front of a castle.  

Two people, a man and a woman, ran out of a back door.  I could just barely see a covered object in the woman's arms.  She moved the cover to reveal a small infant.  "We need to send her to my brothers house.  Him and his wife will take care of her, Katara.  She'll be safe.  They'll wipe her memory and she'll grow up not knowing who or what she really is."  The mans voice was so familiar.  The woman nodded.  

The man reached into his pocket and pulled out a necklace.  He dangled the charm, it looked like my necklace.  "As long as she has this necklace she'll be able to control her forms.  We'll be able to find her again."  They looked back and saw a bunch of men in black suits running towards them.  They looked back at each other and nodded.

 They opened a portal and the blanketed child went through it and disappeared.  The black suited men reached them.  The vision shook with an explosion.  The castle and the fight slowly trickled away.  I blinked a few times and shook my head.  Everest was looking at me with a worried expression.  

I wasn't completely sure what that was.  I could feel tears falling, I didn't know I was crying.  I felt like I lost someone all over again.  That didn't make any sense.  I didn't know who those two people were.  I hadn't noticed the Hyria was standing next to me until she picked me up.  When Everest or Naomi held me, I felt calmed.

 When Hyria held me I felt slightly scared.  Hyria picked my charm up slowly.  She closed her eyes.  Handing me back to Everest, Hyria left the room.  "What happened Storm?  Are you ok?"  Everest whispered.  I didn't respond. "I'm not sure what happened?"  The statement sounded more like a question.  Everest shrugged.  

Hyria came back.  "I'm afraid I can't do much to help.  The magic in her charm is a kind I haven't delt with before.  The charm around her neck is preventing any of my spells from doing their jobs."  Her voice was slow and saddening.  "It's best if the necklace is not removed.  I fear if someone else were to remove it, there might be dire consequences for both involved."  I didn't know what she meant.  I had taken my necklace off before?

"Well, What should we do?"  Everest asked, her voice unsure.  Hyria held out a rolled up scroll.  It looked like a map.  "You need to find the maker of the charm.  I know someone who may be able to help.  Follow these directions and you should find him."  Everest took the scroll.

 "Thank you Hyria."  Her voice seemed far away.  Everest held me to her chest as she left the house.  "What do we do now, Everest?"  I asked.  She didn't respond.  I remembered something I might have overheard while I was sleeping.  Someone had said that when a hybrid is in their other forms that no one can understand them unless they have a spell or are in their own hybrid form.

 Everest must not be able to understand what I'm saying.  I thought.  A flash of red scurried in front of us.  Everest stopped.  I jumped out of her arms.  I held my charm and thought of the nature wolf.  I felt the green diamond glow and when I opened my eyes, I was the black and green wolf again.  

I wasn't sure if this really was a nature wolf, but it seemed to be.  I jumped down from Everest's arms and ran after the furry red thing.  I heard Everest call my name but I didn't stop.  In the green climate, a red object should be easy to keep track off.  

Well it's not so easy when the air seems to darken and the red thing suddenly jumps into a tree and disappears.  I stoped running and whined slightly.  It seemed to be nighttime but I knew it was still day.  Somehow, it seemed, I had run almost a mile into the forest.

 I started to walk back the way I came, it was a while until I realized I didn't know which way I came.  I hadn't been paying much attention when I was chasing the red thing and not paying attention to the surroundings.  It felt like I was walking in circles.  "Seems like you wolves never learn your lessons do you?"  The voice came from three trees.  I saw the red thing watching me.

 It jumped down and walked over to me.  I felt my coloring change back to normal.  The thing wasn't red all that much.  I knew what the form was called but I hadn't know hybrids could have a pokemon as one of their forms.  "You're a Fennikin?"  My voice was indifferent.  They nodded.  "Just about time someone got it right."  Their voice was a girls.  "Anyway, why were you following me?  I'm sure your owner is worried about you."  She looked at my necklace.  I growled.  

"Everest is not my owner.  She's a friend.  What's around my neck isn't a collar either.  It's a necklace."  They seemed unable to grasp that I was a hybrid, just like them, in a form.  The red diamond on the charm began to glow slightly.

 The fennikin took a step back.  "What is going on there?"  Her voice was frightened.  It reminded my of how Naomi watched me when I was having a form spasm.