Repercussion

Demi

I weaved my way through the crowd of people offering me congratulations. I didn't have time for all of that right now. I needed to find Jessica. From the corner of my eye, I saw Mar talking worriedly her phone.

"Where is she?"

I asked desperately when I had made my way over to where she was.

"Haven't you done enough already?"

Marissa answered in a nasty tone, covering the mouth piece. Before I answered her, she continued speaking to the other person on the line.

"Yeah.... Are you sure?"

Her eyes flickered angrily at me before she turned her back and continued talking. After a few more seconds, she turned back to me.

"She's down by the lake and ma-"

I took off before she could even finish whatever she wanted to say to me. When I got outside, I immediately saw her frame just standing by the lake.

I noticed she had her arms folded and I knew her mind was in overdrive. Suddenly feeling nervous, I turned back and started making my way to the party but decided against it. It was either now or never.

"Was any of it real?"

She asked as I approached her from behind. She kept her back turned to me and her voice flat so it was hard for me to assume how upset she was.

"Was any of what real?"

I asked though I knew full well what she was referring to. I just wanted to delay what I had to do for as long as possible.

"Us."

I took a deep breath in order to prepare myself for what I was about to do.

"No. Not for the most part."

Even though it was dark and we were still some distance apart, I saw her nod her head.

"And at any point in our rela- whatever it was, did you at least try to love me back?"

I felt my heart drop. I could hear her breathing become more shallow the more she spoke.

"Not really. I have a boyfriend, well fiancé, who I love. I just needed a distraction sometimes and you were always available."

She nodded again, this time letting out a bitter chuckle.

"So that means everyone was right then. My parents, your mom, they were all right, saying a girl like you could never love a girl like me..."

I stayed silent and she continued.

"...I can't even blame you though. All the signs were there. I just ignored them because I was 'in love'."

She turned to me doing air quotes as she finished her sentence. I couldn't take it any longer.

"Look ba-"

"Don't you fucking dare call me that."

She cut me off angrily. I quickly retracted the hand I was reaching out to her with.

"Look, I didn't mean for any of this to happen."

"You were so good too. All those little talks about you coming out and us getting married and having kids. You really had me going. And to think I was about to fucking propose to you this morning..."

Those were the words that dug deep. I had been trying to keep my face void of emotion but at that point, I just couldn't keep back the tears that flowed free.

"... You kept getting those calls and I was so humiliated but even then I've never felt as embarrassed as I did when you agreed to have a future with someone else right in front of my face..."

That's when I saw it. I saw her reach up to wipe her eyes as her voice cracked and even then she remained calm as she continued.

"... This is all so fucked up but I still know I won't be able hate you and God knows I want to. I can't blame anyone but myself for my stupidity at this point..."

"Jessica, don't..."

I croaked out, not wanting to hear her blame herself.

"Just, Just don't say anything... please, because if you do, I know I'll forgive you..."

She was full on crying at this point. I always wanted the first time I see her cry be on our wedding day or when we got our first child, not this. I desperately wanted to reach out and hold her, tell her that it wasn't her fault, that we were going to be okay. But I couldn't because I wasn't too sure myself.

"Does he make you happy?"

She asked in a quiet voice. That was one of the things I loved most about her, she always wanted to ensure that I was happy. I tried to swallow the lump in my throat before I stuttered an answer.

"Y-yes."

"That's good. That's all that matters. You used to make me happy and at one point you fooled me into thinking I did the same for you."

Her calmness was beginning to frustrate me. Why wasn't she angry at me? Why wasn't she ripping me shreds? I needed her to lash out.

"How much?"

She looked up at me, with what I will always remember as the most beautiful eyes in the universe, and questioned.

"How much what?"

I swallowed loudly before I continued.

"How much money do you want to keep your mouth shut?"

I heard the sharp breath she took just before backing away a bit from me.

"I do- I don't understand."

"Whores always want money so how much do y-"

I was cut off by a hard slap across my face. Jessica came close to my face and spoke angrily as Marissa's car rounded the corner.

"Fuck you."

She stormed off toward the car but turned back around digging through her purse before she threw something to me.

"Here, I don't have a need for this anymore. I wish you all the best that life has to offer."

When I caught the object, I recognized it was a small black velvet box. I heard the car speeding off and I just stood there as the love of my life left me. It was as if time stood still.

After a few minutes of just staring at the tiny box in my hand, I decided to go to back upstairs to clean up. I'm pretty sure her hand left a mark on my cheek. As I turned around, I saw Dianna standing there with a smug grin on her face.

"Are you happy now?"

"Absolutely ecstatic."

This was so short, I'm sorry :(. I realized I'm really bad at break up scenes so please don't kill me. Love you guys! Xoxo JessWess