In case 1

Flashback

Jessica

"Hey sexy."

Demi answered her phone with a deep voice. I chuckled at how absurd she sounded while still managing to be cute.

"I see someone's trying to get some."

I replied with a smug smile as I hopped into my car.

"Is it working?"

She answered eagerly. She was such a cutie pie.

"Kinda. What time did you say you were coming home again?"

"I'm not sure, I've got a few things to do when I land but I'll be there by ten. I'm sure."

"OK but please please be on time this time."

Demi had a bad habit of always being late or always agreeing to last minute meetings. It was honestly so irritating.

"I promise Jess but I have to go now. I haven't started packing yet. I love you."

"Love you too, bye."

With that we hung up and I started with my chores so I could have the entire weekend free.

•••

I sunk myself deeper into the warm sea of bubbles that had taken over my bath tub. Releasing smoke clouds after every draw I puffed from the cigarette nestled between my fingers.

"Jessica?"

I heard Demi call out as she closed the big mahogany door downstairs. Ignoring her, I exhaled another cloud of smoke.

"Jess?"

She questioned again, this time she sounded closer. Maybe she was on her way up the stairs. I puffed at my cigarette once more and sunk myself even deeper into the tub.

"Jessica, where are you?"

By now, she was in the bedroom and she sounded even more worried and I knew she would find me soon. The bathroom light would give my location away. Still, I could care less.

"What the fuck Jessica? Didn't you hear me calling you? Are you smoking?"

Funny how she was the one behaving as if I did her wrong. She was good at that.

"What time is it?"

That was the only answer I gave. Ignoring her long string of questions, ensuring she remembered that she wasn't the victim here. Instead of answering, she grabbed the cigarette from my grip and put it out and tossed it through the bathroom window.

I unclogged the tub and grabbed a robe from off the hook nearby and tiptoed across the tile to retrieve my phone. After checking the time, I made my way towards the bedroom.

"Oh wont you lookie here, It's now ten minutes to three. I'm sorry, I think probably heard wrong, but I could've sworn you said you'd be here at ten."

I said sarcastically as I started looking through my drawers for underwear. She stuttered an answer.

"My flight, it got uh, delayed. Yes, my flight got delayed."

I bet she felt proud of herself for coming up with a lie so quickly. I just continued moving to another drawer to find something to sleep in.

"Uh huh. And it never crossed your mind to call?"

I questioned calmly as I pulled a 'Yaardie' T-Shirt over my head.

"My battery was dying so I placed it on airplane mode."

She was really on a roll with these lies today.