Just Give Me A Reason

Demi

'We need to talk.'

It took me almost twenty minutes of me hovering my finger over the send button for me to finally muster up enough courage to send that text off. My heart rate only speeding up once I saw a call coming in.

"About what?"

I heard her beautiful voice radiating through my cellphone speaker.

"We just need to, OK?"

I just heard her let out a frustrated sigh and I could almost see her running her hand through her hair.

"Well, let's talk."

She stated bluntly and I heard some rustling in the background followed by some barking.

"Are you OK?"

"Yeah, It's just Izzy keeps shitting all over the place."

Izzy. Cute nickname. I chuckled a bit and she giggled a little as well. Soon after, there was a bit of silence present on the line. I finally gathered enough courage to ask what I've been wanting to ever since our kiss two weeks ago.

"Can I see you?"

I bit my lip nervously, not sure what answer I would be getting. I was greeted by another sigh from her end of the line.

"I don't think that would be a great idea."

"Please?"

Another sigh from her end of the line. I tried to gauge whether that was a good or bad sign, pretty soon I got the answer.

"Well, shouldn't you be calling your fiancé? Or did you forget that this call girl is out of business?"

She seethed angrily at me. I guess she was more bitter than I thought.

"Jess, I-"

"Goodbye Demi."

And the line went dead. I moved the phone my ear and just stared at it til the backlight went off. That went.... Well. I guess I was really hoping for too much.

I went over to the couch and started flipping through channels, not really wanting to watch anything. I took my phone again and started scrolling through my contacts, no one to call.

Hundreds of numbers in my phone and no one had any free time to spend with me, not even Wilmer. I guess this is what being alone felt like.

I finally decided on having a party for one, going through all my unused cookbooks til I finally found a recipe that looked easy enough for me to tackle. Famous butter chicken.

By the time I had almost finished cooking and began setting out a place for one, there was a knock on the door.

"You said you wanted to talk, so talk."

I stood there dumbfounded while she just stared at me expectantly.

"Uh, Jess, I didn't, I-"

"So I'm just supposed to stand out here all day?"

She smirked at me and I quickly came back to my senses and let her in.

"Oh shit, yeah, come in."

She slowly walked past me to stand awkwardly in the living room, trying to warm herself. The air-conditioning was, as usual, on full blast while she was only wearing a pair of shorts and a jersey shirt.

"Freezing to death?"

I chuckled as she turned and gave me a small smile. That fucking smile.