Weekend Away

Jessica

It had been almost four months since Marissa and I separated. We didn't talk much after it happened and that slightly disturbed me, knowing how close we were before we got together.

Demi, on the other hand, hardly ever left my side. We were almost inseperable. She spent most of the nights she could at my place and I could tell she was making a conscious effort not to ask about the status of our relationship. We were never intimate on her visits, we never even shared so much as a kiss, just a few cuddles here and there.

"So... I was thinking that maybe you and I could go somewhere for the weekend."

Demi ventured hopefully over the phone. She was currently on the road for press meetings and I was missing her. A lot.

"What did you have in mind?"

"Remember how we used to go to Santa Barbara all those weekends?"

"Yeah..."

I responded as I hopped into my car and put her on speaker phone.

"Well, why don't we make it a thing for this weekend?"

I smiled involuntarily at her suggestion, sometimes just hearing her voice does that me. It didn't take much time to make up my mind about her proposal.

"Uh, sure will you be picking me up or?"

I probed as I drove out of the garage of Greg's management company.

"Yeah, I'm coming back by eight in the morning but I have some stuff to take care of. Is six good?"

I heard her pause a while as someone spoke to her as she gave verbal cues every once in a while.

"Baby, they're calling me on stage for Jimmy right now so I'll talk to you later ok?"

I felt a sense of disappointment wash over me due to our short lived convo. I subconsciously sighed sadly.

"Alright."

"As soon as I'm done imma call you. I promise."

"Fine."

"And Jess?"

"Yes Demi?"

"I love you."

"I love you too."

••••

"Where's my favorite girl?"

I heard Demi question loudly as she walked down the hall towards my bedroom. I was still yet to finish packing my suitcase and I glanced toward the entrance just in time to see her come in.

"Hey."

I smiled as she leaned against the doorframe, consuming me with her intense stare.

"Hey sweetie. Are you almost done?"

"Yeah. Just give me a sec."

She nodded and returned downstairs, probably to talk to Jazz or my aunt. They had grown particularly fond of her over the last months. Izzy came walking into the room and I picked her up just as I finished packing my suitcase.

"I think I'm ready now."

I announced as I awkwardly dragged my suitcase down the stairs with Izzy still nestled in my bosom. She grew a bit excited once she spotted Demi, fidgeting til I put her down so she could climb into Demi's lap.

"Need help with putting that in the car?"

She asked as Izzy licked her face eagerly. I shook my head in response and loaded the suitcase in the trunk right beside hers and returned inside.