And then there were two...

Demi

You know that feeling when you get a tall, cold drink of water after spending days wandering through a desert? Well, I don't know either but I'm sure it was pretty damn close to how I felt right now.

I haven't had a good night's rest in months but Jess managed to rectify that and every other problem in my life right now. She was my saving grace, my oasis.

I smiled as I took in how beautiful she was as she slumbered peacefully beside me, how a few rays of sunshine that had escaped the curtain reflected so perfectly off her caramel skin.

"I love you so much."

I mumbled softly as I planted a kiss on her forehead, careful not to wake her. She shuffled a bit she didn't wake up. I eased my way out of her hold after deciding I could surprise her with breakfast in bed. I sleepily stumbled my way into the bathroom and gargled some mouthwash and washed my face before making my way downstairs.

My heart skipped a beat when I heard shuffling coming from the kitchen but quickly sobered when I came to the conclusion that it was most likely her aunt already there. It was still a foreign idea to me, I had never spent a night here with her and her family. Before we broke up, it was always just us.

"Lord have mercy child, don't do that man."

Her aunt exclaimed while she held her heart after I entered the kitchen.

"I'm sorry."

I apologized meekly as I ventured further into the kitchen.

"I should have known it was you, none of my babies ever wake up this early. So, you spent the night?"

"Yeah, my car couldn't start last night."

"I'm sure it couldn't."

She commented suspiciously as she started to boil some water for tea. She then moved to get some pancake mix from the pantry and began scanning the fridge.

"Uh, can I help you with that? I wanna surprise Jess with breakfast in bed."

I ventured timidly and she stared at me with a look of amusement on her face.

"Of course. Less work for me."

She stepped aside and I began on the pancake batter as she put some leaves in the boiling water for the tea.

"So, you really love her don't?"

Her aunt questioned as I flipped the pancakes.

"Yes mam, I do."

"You know, before her parents died, I promised them that I would protect her. I did a great job too but there was one specific thing they warned me about that I couldn't protect her from. You."

I awkwardly took the pancakes out of the pan and slid them unto a plate with eggs and ham. I tried my best not to make eye contact. I tense when I felt Susan holding on to my shoulders.

"Everyone thought she had listened to us, broke things off with you but I should've known better. She called me up one day and she said 'aunty, I love her and I want to marry her and nothing you say can change my mind.'..."

She looked away from me and started smiling to herself and began to chuckle lightly, probably amused by her recollection.

"Why are you telling me all this?"

I asked desperately. I honestly needed all the help I could get to win her back.

"I don't know. You figure it out."