Marcus Bell- Bowling (h)

Elementary One Shot

Nothing was ever going to be perfect when a relationship ended – things would be said that neither of you meant, too many shared assets and quite a number of things that the both of you experienced together.

It would always take a large amount of adjusting to get used to not having the other person in your life.

Your relationship didn't exactly end amicably but not all relationships did end on mutual terms.

Two years was the length of time you had spent with your ex-boyfriend and you were the one to end it because he wasn't the person you'd met those two years ago – he'd begun going out more, not paying attention to the bills that needed to be paid and leaving you to deal with everything when he should have been helping.

You could only deal with something like that for so long.

Of course, you had talked to him about it, argued even but nothing seemed to be going through that thick skull of his.

Three months down the line you were feeling a lot better about not having him in your life anymore.

Joan, one of your closest friends, had been on at you for the past month to try dating again but you were unsure as she had once threatened to set you up with Sherlock and he was most definitely not your type.

However, she was trying to redeem herself and so after a month of nagging you had agreed to go on a double date with her and Andrew and the random guy who she was setting you up with.

She'd told you to meet them all the local bowling alley so at six o'clock you were there waiting.

"Y/N!"

You turned around at Joan's voice and saw her walking down with her arm linked into Andrew's and then another man walking at her side.

She greeted you with a hug and Andrew hugged you also before she turned to the man next to her. "Y/N, this is Marcus Bell – he works with Sherlock and me at the NYPD."

You smiled at him, holding your hand out for him to shake. "It's nice to meet you, I'm afraid I only know Joan from college so not as exciting as the police department."

He chuckled as he shook your hand. "It's nice to meet you also – from what I've heard of Joan's college days, that's definitely more exciting."

Joan smiled a knowing smile at you and winked.

The four of you made your way into the bowling alley and got two games sorted for you all – Joan went up first, with Andrew after her and it was clear that she stalled to begin with to give you and Marcus some time to talk.

"What led you to letting Joan set you up then?" you quizzed Marcus out of curiosity.

He chuckled. "It wasn't so much me letting her, but more her telling me that she had a friend who would be 'perfect' for me and here we are."

"Am I perfect?"

His smile turned into a smirk. "I can't say I'm disappointed."

Over the course of the two games, you and Marcus hit it off very well leading Joan to be extremely proud of herself.

Andrew was smiling at his girlfriend and finding it very enjoyable at how happy she was for the two of you.

At the end of the final game, Joan and Andrew bid the two of you goodnight leaving Marcus stood outside with you.

He offered you his arm with a smile. "Let's say we take this to a nearby bar I know, and I'll finally be able to buy you a drink."

"I'd like that."

The two of you chatted as you walked and eventually came upon the bar.

Marcus held the door open for you like a total gentleman and then placed his hand on your back to guide you past the people inside.

You managed to find an empty table whilst Marcus left to get the drinks.

As you were sat down, someone came to stand by the table.

You looked up with a smile thinking it was Marcus, but your face fell when you realised your ex-boyfriend was stood right in front of you.

"What are you doing here?"

He scoffed, crossing his arms. "I should ask you the same thing."

"As we're no longer together you have no right to ask me anything about my whereabouts."

"You broke up with me."

You rolled your eyes, quickly becoming frustrated. "And what does that have to do with the price of fish?!"

He glared at you but before you could say anything else, Marcus appeared at the table.

Marcus placed the drinks on the table before turning to look at your boyfriend.

"Can I help you?"

Your ex crossed his arms and attempted to stand up taller in order to intimidate Marcus but that really didn't work as Marcus was taller than him anyway, and he also moved his hand to rest on his gun.

"If you're going to stand there and say nothing then I am going to ask that you leave myself and my date to enjoy our evening."

After a staring contest with Marcus, your ex left but not before shooting a glare your way for a good few seconds.

Marcus sat down and took a sip of his drink.

"I am so sorry about him."

He shook his head, waving off your apology. "We all have crazy exes."

"We broke up three months ago and since then he's barely spoken to me, and now he's trying to be all up in my business."

Marcus chuckled at the expression of distaste on your face. "I'm guessing it was you who ended it?"

"How did you guess?"

He shrugged, taking another sip of his drink. "No guy who broke up with a girl would be that desperate to get back with her, and then that possessive when he saw her out on a date with another guy."

You smiled at him before picking up your own drink. "Well let's hope we turn out better than him and I did."

"Confident, aren't we?" Marcus teased with a smirk on his face.

As you took a sip of your drink, you shrugged your shoulders. "What can I say? I have faith in Joan and I think you're cute."

~*~

Written by Hannah.

Tumblr Request.