Piper Wright- Camp (a)

Fallout 4 One Shot

"Come on then... go wild. Tell me all of your crazy stories from your time before the vaults." The crackling fire that sat next to you threw shadows that danced between the irradiated trees, made a lot more terrifying the by natural creaking of the woodlands and the calls of wildlife.

"I don't have any."

"Come on, there's no need to be shy. Forget all everything that two-bit mayor has to say about me. This is purely recreational. You had to have been involved in a couple of gunfights?" Piper sat adjacent to you, her wide eyes fixed on yours and her ears eagerly awaiting your response and her hands tucked tightly into yours.

"Do you actually have any idea what it was like before the vaults? Before the raiders and the mutants and the vaults?"

"Well by your tone I'm guessing not very exciting..."

"Well for a start you would never have had to sleep in the middle of the forest because a group of fake humans were out hunting for you. The insects were never as big as this either, you would rarely get one bigger than your hand, forget about some of the flying tanks out here that are bigger than the both of us put together."

"What about the food?"

"Oh my god, I had forgotten about the food. You could walk outside, pluck an apple from a tree and eat it without having to worry about waking up with an extra arm sticking out of your chest. I think I know something that's really going to blow your mind though."

"Go on!" She looked up at you like a child listening to their bedtime story.

"We used to have brahim, well, we called them cows or cattle, that only had... one head."

"No way."

"Yep, just one head on their shoulders."

"That's crazy. Nat's going to go nuts hearing about this. Do you think like will ever be like that again?"

"I don't know, I hope so. It was so nice to live life and the only worry in the world was whether the milk was going to be delivered on time. But, life right now isn't so bad I guess."

"What redeeming quality does this shithole of a country have?"

"Every night I get to fall asleep next to you, and every morning I get to wake up next to you, and for me, that makes this whole wasteland worth it."

~*~

Written by Aaron.