Nick Valentine- Apprentice (a)

Fallout 4 One Shot

"You've got nerves of steel, kid." Detective Valentine looked over his desk at you whilst his second in command wrote down notes from over his shoulder. "And I know there's an obvious joke there, but I've heard it enough times to last ten lifetimes so if we could leave that one out. But seriously, you're brave, real brave."

"It wasn't much Sir, honestly."

"Right, right. Anybody can fight their way through wannabe gangster infested subway stations to come and rescue me. How did you even know that I would be down there?"

"News travels quickly through Diamond City." Valentine lit up a cigarette and brought it to his lips, the embers helped the dim lamps to illuminate the small shack.

"You can say that again kid." He looked up to Ellie, who gave him a reassuring nod and tucked her notebook away into a breast pocket. "Look, I've got a little proposition for you, feel free to say no. I want you to be me apprentice." Your stomach suddenly erupted in butterflies, you knew the detective appreciated the help, an almost comical sized sack of caps made that clear, but this was something else.

"We'll get you some gear and some actual weapons training. You've got a talent kid. What are you gonna do? Stay in this god forsaken place all your life? Maybe set up some doomed market stall where you peddle overpriced merch to desperate people just so that you can put food on your plate? Or do you want to come with me and help the Commonwealth? Make this hellhole better for at least a few people. It won't be easy, there'll be sleepless nights and yeah, you might not make it out of your first case alive, but you've got that it takes kid."

"Yes."

"Don't be so negative, I can pay you, I know it won't be much. I can give you a safe roof over your head as well so... wait, did you say yes?" You nodded and couldn't stop the behemoth smile on your face.

"Ellie get our newest agent a trench coat, a fedora and a brand spanking new case for us to work on. Here's your first two lessons kid, Ellie likes her coffee black and I like my agents not backstabbing so please don't fuck me over. If you have a problem with synths that you haven't told me yet I suggest you say so now. I need to know that the person behind me with the gun is a person that I can trust."

~*~

Written by Aaron.