Effy Stonem- Company (c)

Skins UK One Shot

Looking around the courtyard, you looked for somewhere to sit for lunch, but all the tables were occupied. Off in the corner you saw a table with just one person. Effy Stonem, did spend a lot of her time alone, but you got along with her fairly well. You'd not class her as a friend but you talked in class and it made you feel bad for her to be on her own at lunch.

You made your way over to her, giving her a warm smile, sitting down opposite her at the table. She looked up from her sandwich, acknowledging you with a nod of her head, but didn't smile- you rarely ever saw her smile.

"Why are you sat alone?" You asked.

She shrugged her shoulders.

"Where's your friend, the blond one?" You questioned, not remembering her name.

"Pandora," she stated. "She's not well."

"Any other friends?"

Effy shrugged again. "People don't really like me."

You gave her a sympathetic smile as you unpackaged your lunch. She was fairly quiet and unwelcoming to people, it didn't surprise you that a lot of people didn't want to spend time with her as she was rather dismissive.

"I doubt that," you lied. "Lots of people like you."

She wasn't sociable, rather keeping to herself and even if she spent time with people, she could be harsh. You didn't have many friends, so didn't mind her company as at least she sometimes spoke to you or didn't completely ignore you.

"I know most people don't like me; I don't care, I don't like most people," she stated, taking a bite of her sandwich.

It was a sad existence, being in college and not wanting to spend time with anyone. You didn't feel the need to rely everything on friendships but life in college became significantly easier if you had someone to help you get through it.

"But does that make you happy?" You asked.

Effy shrugged again. "I don't really like people. People are just too stressful, I'd rather have life be simpler without them."

You paused. Although you didn't mind her company, maybe she despised yours but didn't want to say anything to you.

"Would you like me to leave you alone?" You whispered, too scared for the answer.

She shook her head. "You're one of the few people I don't mind the company of. You don't need to go anywhere."

Even though a small gesture, it brought a smile to your face.

~*~

Written by Charlotte.

Tumblr Request.