Three

Is He Yours?

   After a few moments of study time, the door chimed again signalling the time to get behind the counter. Allie set things aside as she got up and went behind the counter. A young woman approached holding the hand of a small boy. Allie had known these two to come in after schools had let out for the day, they were also regulars.

"How can I help you today?" Allie beamed as she looked down at the young man.

"Cinna roll!!" the small one yelled as he gave a toothy smile to Allie.

"Coming right up, and for mommy?" Allie smiled as she looked at the young woman.

"Just the cinnamon roll today Allie" she gave off a tired vibe.

"Work hard today Shae?" Allie asked as she opened the case for the pastries.

"Sort of, Allie is there any way you could watch Jace while I run to turn some paperwork in with the courts?" Shae had a slight pleading tone in her voice that caught Allie off guard.

"Of course! Jace is always welcome to stay and help me around here. You know he loves helping me" Allie glanced at the small boy who was wiggling around as he held his mom's hand.

"Thank you so much" Shae bent down to talk to Jace as Allie set the roll on a plate and walked back around the counter.

"Come on Jace, let's go sit down and eat this roll...if you're good for me...I'll give you a treat" Allie beamed as she held her hand out, Jace instantly taking it as his mother gave him a small kiss before rushing to the door.

   Allie had set the plate down across from herself before she picked up the small boy and set him on the chair and settled herself down across from him. Noticing how the small boy eyed the man she sat next to, Allie cleared her throat before scooting the plate closer to him.

"Jace, don't stare. Eat your roll" Allie said before she started putting her things away.

"Sorry" Jace mumbled out before he took a bite of the roll.

"You stay here and eat okay? I need to clean up" Allie said as she ruffled the boys hair and got up. 

   Sighing she began wiping down tables, out of the corner of her eye she watched Jooheon got up and extend his hand to Jia. The girl so full of awe, instantly took his hand before the others got up with them. The chime signalling their leave had Allie letting out a relieved sigh she didn't know she was holding. Allie glanced at the little boy who was stuffing his face with his cinnamon roll, smiling to herself she went back to work.

"Is he yours?" Allie glanced at Kihyun

"No, he's Shae's child...Shae is the girl who came in earlier with him" Allie glanced at Jace, who had pulled out a coloring book from his bag.

"You and his mother must be close, if she leaves you with him" Kihyun smiled slightly.

"She use to go to school with me, she was suppose to go to college but...she got pregnant with Jace so I sort of helped with him here and there" she pursed her lips as she got back to work.

   The silence was short lived when Jace started to grow bored and ask Allie questions. Some about work, some about his homework, and others about Allie's personal life.

"Are you my aunt's boyfriend?" Allie glanced at Jace shocked as he spoke to Kihyun.

"Jace!" Allie set the cups on the counter and glared at him slightly.

"No, I'm not...would you like me to be?" Kihyun chuckled as he talked with the boy.

"Kihyun! Don't encourage him like that" Allie had a wide eyed look on her face.

"Aunt Allie doesn't talk to mommy about boys...mommy thinks my aunt might like girls..I heard her tell grandma once" Jace tried to whisper to Kihyun but failed as his small voice got louder.

"Jace! That's enough...your mommy is the one that likes girls" Allie shot back as the door chimed.