6. Family Dinner

I just stared at him.

Do I wake him up?

Trevor has fallen asleep the second we got back from the kitchen. I mean he looked tired like he hadn't slept in days but he was acting like he was fine.

I didn't want to wake him since he seemed like he needed sleep but I could just see my parents faces when they saw that an attractive boy was sleeping in my bedroom.

He looked peaceful. I couldn't help but want to stare at him all day. There was something about Trevor that scared me. Whenever he looks at me it's like he's looking through me and I just feel so exposed. When he caught me singing I flipped out. When I sing I feel vulnerable and I let all my emotions out through the song. Whenever someone sees that it's like they see my soul, they see every part of myself I'm trying to hide.

"Ella," I heard my mom knock on my door.

Shit. I looked at Trevor and he was still laying there sleeping peacefully. I couldn't do it, I couldn't interrupt him.

I marched over to the door and peaked around it.

"Hey mom, what's up?" I smiled.

"You're going to have the house to yourself tonight. We are taking your brother out to that restaurant he likes."

"Ok sounds good." I forced a smile.

My parents did this a lot. They would take my brother out because they thought that they needed time to talk to him without me there. At least that's what they told me so that I wouldn't feel excluded but it didn't work. Every time they went out without me it hurt just as much.

With everything that has happened they still thought he was priority over me. They had two children but seemed to only care about one.

"I'll bring you back some dessert ok?" My mom offered.

I think she thought this offer would solve the whole issue.

I just smiled and nodded.

I was on my second episode of new girl when I heard Trevor start to wake up.

"Good morning," I said looking over at him.

"Shit how long was I out for?" He stretched out.

"An hour and a half." I answered.

"It's six thirty?" He jumped up looking at his phone.

"Yeah I didn't want to wake you up."

"I got to go, family dinner." He started to gather his stuff.

I frowned. I wanted that. I wanted those family dinners, my family had them but I just seemed to never get an invite.

"It's fine." I shrugged.

He rushed down the stairs and I followed. I figured you were supposed to walk your guest out.

"Are you home alone?" He paused and looked around the dark first floor.

"Yeah my parents and brother went out to dinner." I explained.

"Shit I'm sorry. You could have woke me up, I didn't mean for you to miss your family dinner." He rambled.

I wish he was the reason I wasn't at that dinner.

"It's fine." I forced a smile.

"Do you want to come to dinner at my house? My parents always make way too much." He offered.

I didn't want to intrude but I craved to be apart of a family dinner. Maybe being at some else's will make this night a little bit better.

"Sure." I shrugged.

"Great," he beamed.

I looked down at my ripped jeans and sweater. I should change, what does one wear to a family dinner?

"I should change." I frowned.

"You look fine." He waved me off.

"Ok," I finally smiled, a real smile.

I followed Trevor into the apartment building. I was interested to see where he lived and what his family was life. I wondered if they were close or like mine.

We paused in front of the door and he rustled in his pocket looking for the key.

"Hey Trev," I looked over to see Zach.

"Hey man, it's family dinner tonight if you want to join." Trevor offered.

"I wish I could but I got to look after mom tonight."

He must of just noticed me standing there because he finally acknowledged my existence.

"Hey Ella." He smiled and waved at me.

"Hey Zach." I smiled back.

"If you have time you can stop and grab something for you and your mom." Trevor said before pushing the door open.

I followed Trevor inside and was overwhelmed by the smell of food.

His parents were in the kitchen laughing about something. I could almost immediately see the love there. Just the way they looked at each other it was something that I was missing from my own family.

Trevor's mom threw her head back and laughed loudly at something her husband said. He wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her into his chest.

"I'm sorry about them." Trevor whispered to me.

"Oh it's fine. Are they always like this?" I questioned.

"They bicker a lot but yeah they are basically always like that."

I smiled.

"Trevor! You brought a guest." His parents finally noticed our presence.

"This is Ella, she my partner for my history project."

"Well the more the merrier." His dad smiled.

His mother immediately came barreling towards me.

"Trevor has never brought a girl over," She smiled.

I could hear Trevor groan behind me.

"Don't harass the poor girl." Her husband laughed behind her.

I just stood there admiring them. This was what a real family looked like.

"I'm not bothering you, right Ella?" Trevor's mom asked me.

"No of course not." I assured her.

"See, I'm trying to get to know the girl." She glared at her husband.

"I don't want you to scare her off, this might be Trevor's only chance." Trevor's dad laughed.

"That's enough of that." Trevor intervened.

"We wouldn't be doing our jobs if we didn't embarrass you and make you wish we didn't exist." His mom told him.

"Is dinner ready?" He changed the topic.

"Be patient." She shook back.

"I'm sorry my wife can be-,"

"Can be what?" She shot him a dirty look.

"A bit much." He finished.

I laughed as Trevor's mom rolled her eyes.

"I bet this is a great first impression." Trevor said to me.

"It is, you're family is great." I beamed.

He smiled when I said that and nodded.

"They are." He agreed and watched as his parents continued to bicker.

A/n:

I hope you enjoyed this chapter and are excited for the next one. I really love writing this story.

Don't forget to comment and vote!!

-cora Leigh