46. Invisible until now

My anxiety was at about an eleven out of ten. Trevor should be on his way, tonight he was meeting my family. Well my family minus my dad who conveniently had to work late tonight.

I never thought I'd be doing this. My parents weren't super involved in my life and they never really seemed to care what I was doing. All their focus went to avoiding each other and dealing with my brother. I seemed to just be invisible, until now.

It all went wrong when Trevor dropped me off after we went and got pizza.

I walked into my house and my mom was sitting at the kitchen table looking through a gardening magazine. Those were her weaknesses.

I wanted to run the beach trip past her and make sure she was good with me going. I didn't foresee her having any issues with me going but I at least needed to ask.

"Hey mom." I sat down across from her.

"What are you up to today?" She asked setting her magazine down.

"I just got back from pizza with my friends but I was hoping to ask you something."

"Anything."

"Well we were all talking and thought that it would be fun to go to the beach for the weekend during our spring break." I told her.

"Is that boyfriend of yours going?" She questioned.

"Yeah." I nodded.

"I think we should meet him properly before you go on any trips with him." She stated.

"Ok he can come over something this week for dinner if that works." I offered.

"I get out of work early on Tuesday so I'll cook up something special."

Trevor was meeting the family on Tuesday. In three days.

When the doorbell rang I raced to answer it. I knew it was Trevor. I swung the door open to see him standing there nervously.

"Do I look ok?" He straightened out his button down.

I told him he didn't have to dress up but seeing him now, I was very glad he did.

"You look great." I grinned.

"Just great? Not hot or I don't know maybe even sexy?" He teased.

"You're full of yourself." I shook my head and laughed.

"But you love me anyways." He leaned down and kissed me, it was quick but still made my heart burst.

"Sadly." I joked and led him into the kitchen.

"It's nice to meet you Mrs. Winters," Trevor smiled and greeted my mother.

"You must be Trevor." She looked him over and seemed to be satisfied with his attire and I was sudden glad that despite me telling him he didn't need to wear a button down that he did.

"You have a lovely home." He complimented. "And a lovely daughter." He added and sent me a wink.

I just shook my head at him.

"I made baked potatoes, I hope that's ok with you." My mom stated.

"Sounds amazing Mrs. Winters." Trevor grinned.

I nudged him.

He gave me a questioning look.

I waited until my mom went off to finish setting up the table.