15. settle down

Matty sat in his studio, he rarely went there without one of the other boys but he didn't feel like writing in his room in that moment.

The boys had gone out with Tammy, he knew that Kat was at work. She worked too much, he reminded himself to tell her that. Alice was coming over later, it was her birthday. He wondered whether Kat would want to hang out the next day.

He laid down on the sofa, his guitar across him as he strummed, staring at the ceiling. Kat was running around his mind, everything that she said and that George said. He knew he had to stop being so affectionate but there were no barriers, he had seen her naked, he knew her inside and out.

He let out a small laugh, remembering things she had to said to him. She was so funny sometimes. He strummed his guitar some more and started to hum, a smile playing on his lips.

"settle down." He sang, recalling what they're conversation before the show. "you know I can't be found with you."

Alice opened the front door as silently as possible, not wanting to let Matty know she was there. She wanted to surprise him so they could spend the whole of her birthday together.

She crept along the floor, putting her ear to each door until she heard the soft sound of his humming. She grinned and went to open the door but then he started singing.

"for crying out loud, settle down. you know i can't be found with you.
we get back to my house, your hands, my mouth" he paused, letting out a deep sigh.
"now, i just stop myself around you."

Alice debates walking in but it was such a beautiful song, she just stood there listening to it for a little bit longer. For the most part, she tried to figure out what it was about, probably a past girlfriend or something.

"the way she wears her hair down
covering up her face
oh what a let down
i don't seem to be having any effect now
falling all over the place." He sang slowly, unsure of what he meant a lot of the time.

He placed his guitar down, after playing the chords for a little bit longer and just humming his melody. It sounded nice, and he knew it would sound better with all the instruments around it.

Suddenly, his door swung open and Alice jogged in. He almost had a heart attack at the sight of her.

"Alice!" He cried, hand on his heart as he tried to calm his heart rate. Alice laughed at his reaction and walked towards him, helping him up from the sofa. "Happy birthday." He mumbled, kissing her softly.

"Thanks babe." She said, her accent thick. He rarely noticed it but sometimes it stuck out like the North star.

"I thought you were coming over later?" He rubbed the back of his head, feeling violated in his home.

"I thought I'd come and surprise you. I had breakfast with my family." She shrugged, he nodded and then his eyes widened.

"I got you a present. Wait here." He kissed her again and ran into the other room. Alice looked around the room and took in everything. It looked like the boys in hear. She ran her hands along the guitars as Matty came back in.

"Matty..." she trailed, seeing the pandora bag. He grinned and passed it to her. "You didn't have to."

"Shut up and open it." He mumbled, earning a giggle from him. She opened the bag and pulled out the box, she looked up at him before opening it, revealing the opal ring. She gasped.