28. she lays down

Kat arrived at Denise's house with Tammy around midday. The whole group was spending Christmas Eve around there since they had a massive house and could fit everyone in and their Christmas Eve parties were legendary.

Other than the boys, Kat was the only one who had met Denise already and some other of Matty's relatives due to the wedding. This made her feel special, especially since she already loved Denise and knew that Denise already loved her.

"Kat! Oh my, you look beautiful!" She beamed as she opened the door. Kat has decided to wear long flowing black trousers and a halter neck crop top with a fury black jacket while Tammy had opted for a cocktail dress. It was going to be a fancy afternoon. Denise hugged her and then looked at Tammy.

"Hi, I'm Tammy. I'm Kat's best friend." She smiled, Denise grinned back.

"Oh I know. Ross has told me about you." She confessed, Tammy blushed as Kat let out a laugh and watched the two hug. "Come in girls, grab a glass of champagne!" She beamed. They did as they were told and took in the full volume of Matty's family home.

"Is Matty here yet?" Kat asked as Denise handed her a glass of wine.

"I'm afraid you just missed him. He went to pick up his girlfriend, uh, Alice? She was seeing some friends, I think." She explained, Kat nodded. Tammy saw Ross and made her way over to him immediately. The boys had been there, helping out, since the morning. "Hey, come and help me in the kitchen and we can catch up." She nudged her.

Denise patted an island stool before hopping on one herself, they cheersed their champagne flutes and giggled.

"Are you excited about meeting Alice?" Kat started to conversation. Denise looked away but nodded nevertheless.

"Well, yes. I want to see who has managed to ground my Matthew of course but I don't know, everything he has told me about her just doesn't seem like his type." Kat could tell that Denise was worried that Matty was going to break this poor girls heart, which unfortunately, was inevitable.

"Maybe that's a good thing." Kat sipped her champagne as she handed Denise her thoughts.

"Look," Denise looked around to see if anyone was there but it was only them in the kitchen. "A friend of mine told me she saw Matty kissing his girlfriend at the wedding and how they looked cute. I didn't correct her because obviously this is something I don't understand but-"

"Stop." Kat cut her off, feeling overwhelmed by the information she was receiving. "I'm so sorry Denise. Matty and I are so close and we had a little bit too much to drink that night. It was a mistake that will never happen again, I don't want to ruin your son's relationship." She rambled but Denise just shook her head.

"Everyone at that wedding thought you were together and it wasn't because you were sat next to each other. Just let that sink in." She smirked, Kat blushed profusely at what she had just insinuated and shook her head violently.

"I think everyone at that wedding hit their heads as children." She laughed it off, Denise just smiled at her.

"Anyway, help me make a margarita jug will you?" She asked, hopping off her stool. Kat accepted and they started chopping some lemon.

Among the hum of people in the living room and hallway, they heard the front door shut and the noise get a little bit louder.

"Oh, here comes Matty." Kat mumbled just loud enough for Denise to hear. Denise looked confused as she hadn't heard anything but then a familiar mess of curls made their way into the kitchen.

"We're back mum" he yelled, his eyes snapped to Kat and a huge grin wiped across his face. "Hey Kitty, you look fit." He complimented her, she just rolled her eyes. He was wearing a loose black jumper and the blue jeans she had got him.