37. how to draw/petrichor

"Hey." Matty's eyes fluttered open to the feeling of someone stroking his hair and a soothing voice. Sat next to him was Kat, the only person he wouldn't get mad at for that.

"Kat." He breathed, she smiled down at him and continued to stroke his hair.

"How are you feeling?" She asked, her voice was calm and collected. There was no hint of worry within it even though that's all she was; worried.

"I...don't know." His eyes squinted while he tried to remember what happened the night before. "I was in the shower...I was talking to George." He muttered to himself.

"You were showering with George?" She raised her eyebrows. Matty's mouth curled into a smile as she teased him, she smiled back.

"I do, frequently." He played along. She just sat there smiling at him before her eyes flickered to his bedside table.

"While you were dreaming of George, I bought you some water and breakfast is downstairs. I got you a sausage and egg McMuffin and a couple of hash browns." She explained, he looked to the side to see a glass of water. "Drink up and I'll bring you your food." She leant down and kissed his head.

"Love you Kat." He whispered, she smiled.

"I know." She replied, he pretended like it hadn't hurt slightly.

Kat returned downstairs to find George in the hallway as if he was waiting for someone.

"Can we talk?" He looked nervous which made her nervous.

"Yeah, Ross can you take Matty his breakfast?" She yelled into the kitchen. When she heard a muffled yes, she pushed George into the living room. "What's up?" She asked as they collapsed onto the soft sofas.

"There's no easy way to tell you this..." he stared at his lap, his heart pounding. Kat's heart was in her throat, she had never seen George this serious before. "I don't want anything to change between us because you are my best friend and I adore you" he finally looked into her eyes and she looked absolutely terrified. "I think I have feelings for Angie." He confessed, her eyes widened.

"My sister?" She burst, his eyebrows furrowed in fear. "My...what? When? When have you ever gotten to know my sister?" She asked, her posture moving away from him.

"I don't know. I didn't want it to happen. Sometimes when you're not there she is and we talk and she's nice." He grew smaller as Kat tried to digest the information. She stared at the floor for a few minutes before shaking her head.

"I don't want to know." She decided, George cocked his head to the side.

"What do you mean?" She stood up and George followed.

"I just...this is too much. I just don't want to know." She waved her hands around. He reached out for her but she dodged it. "I'm sorry. This is too much for me right now." Her voice cracked and she speed walked out of the room and eventually out of the house.

"Shit." He whispered, "shit!" He yelled and kicked the table. Ross' head suddenly appeared.

"Where'd Kat go? Matty's asking for her." He wondered, oblivious to what was happening.

"She left." George stared at the floor. Ross' head cocked to the side.

"Why?" He asked, leaning against the wall.

"Because I fucked up." George admitted, rubbing his eyes in true Matty fashion. Ross let out a small laugh.

"Did you tell her you love her?" He assumed, George's head snapped up to him.

"What? No." He shook his head before laying down on the sofa. Ross just shrugged and left him to his own devices, believing he wasn't as self destructive as Matty was.