A change of events

8 1/2 months later.

The Lyell Centre, London - 10:30am
Jack is currently at a crime scene with Thomas just finishing up before the cleaning team can come in.

"So heard anything from Nikki? She's due back in two months" Thomas questions as they pack their equipment into the car.

"No actually, well I see the odd photo she posts on Facebook but that's it" Jack replies.

Thomas nods as they get into the car. "I've actually missed her being around, it will be nice to have the old gang back together" Thomas replies.

"Don't even say 'old gang' ever again, it's not cool" Jack cringes, placing his hand on Thomas's shoulder.

Jack and Thomas look at each other before driving off. "Wonder if Nikki has had a good time in Australia? Apparently they've got their summer now I bet she's sunning it up" Thomas speaks.

London, Kensington - 10:40am.

"That's it Nikki you're doing really well" A woman smiles.

Nikki throws her head back and grits her teeth. "No I'm bloody not!" She shouts at the woman.

Nikki groans and looks around the empty room. Nobody there but the midwife. Nikki looks down at her oversized baby bump and rolls her eyes. "I can't believe I went through with this" she says and then starts to scream as a contraction comes fast.

"Come on Nikki, focus!" The midwife encourages trying to keep Nikki's focus.
"When you're ready big push!" She smiles, Nikki takes a breather before giving all she's got.

The Lyell Centre, London - 10:59am.
"Jack, Clarissa... can I have a word in my office please" Thomas speaks as he walks back into his office.

Jack and Clarissa exchange looks and then put their things down and head into Thomas's office. "Right I've received an email from Nikki's team in Australia saying she has returned to the UK, apparently she left two months ago and didn't say anything" he explains.

"What? So why hasn't she called or come to see us?" Clarissa asks rather concerned.

"But how? This isn't like Nikki at all, should I go round and see if she's home?" Jack questions.

Thomas looks down at the email again before looking up at the pair, "I suggest that would be a good idea. I shall call her and Clarissa maybe you should call her too" Thomas suggests, both Jack and Clarissa nod in agreement.

London, Kensington - 11:06am

"That's it Nikki, almost there... and the head is out!" The midwife says cheerfully and suggests Nikki takes a breather.

"Baby has a beautiful hair of hair" the midwife adds cheerfully.

"Does it?" Nikki pants slightly.

The midwife nods and notices Nikki wincing "contraction?" She asks and Nikki nods. "Okay when you're ready big push"

Nikki breaths slightly before pushing her chin into her chest and pushing with all she's got. "Ahhhhh!" She screams through her teeth.

Suddenly the room falls quiet and Nikki throws her head back in relief. What felt like slow motion to Nikki as she looks down at the midwife who lifts up a baby, crying and shaking.

Nikki's heart starts to beat frantically and she reaches out for her baby.
"Congratulations it's a girl!" The midwife beams and she passes the baby to Nikki.

Nikki starts to cry as she soothes the cold and crying baby on her chest. 14 hours of labour were now worth every painful minute.