Waiting Room

Nikki drives to the hospital as quickly and as safely as possible, she pulls up on the car back and gets out, grabbing her phone and handbag as she leaves and locks the car. Nikki hurries into the A&E reception to see the Nanny sat with Poppy on her lap.

"Oh, baby girl!" Nikki says as she walks over to them, Poppy notices Nikki and puts her arms up to her Mum.

The nanny passes Poppy over to Nikki and smiles, "Glad you got here as quick as possible, I shall be going now... but please let me know how she gets on."

Nikki nods and cuddles Poppy as the Nanny leaves, leaving Nikki on her own with her daughter. Poppy clutches to Nikki's top and tries to bury herself deeper into her chest. Nikki sits herself down in the waiting room and places her bag on the seat next to her, She moves Poppy a little and gets herself comfortable.

She rocks Poppy gently in her arms as Poppy continues to whine and cough, "I know baby girl, we will get you sorted soon" Nikki soothes as she kisses Poppy on the head.

Soon Poppy falls asleep in her arms and Nikki grabs her phone out of her bag and messes on it for a while. "Poppy Alexander-Hodgson? I'm her Dad!" a voice speaks as Nikki looks down at her phone. She looks up to see Jack standing at reception, clearly, Clarissa or Thomas had told him about Poppy, and he had come to the hospital as quick as possible.

Nikki remains seated and quiet and Poppy is sleeping. "Erm, sorry she hasn't been seen to yet, she should be still waiting" The receptionist replies.

He looks around the room and notices Nikki sat with Poppy in her arms. "There they are... it doesn't matter now, I've found them" Jack smiles and walks off towards Nikki.

"Come to punch me in the face again?" Nikki says.
"Erm... no, I am here for my daughter" Jack replies.
"Our daughter don't you mean" Nikki replies back.

Jack continues to stand next to Nikki, "Here let me hold her for a while."

"I'm fine holding her, she's comfortable Jack" Nikki explains as she continues to cradle and rock her eight-month-old daughter gently.

Jack doesn't listen and takes her out of Nikki's arms. Almost instantly Poppy kicks off and starts to cry loudly. "Hey, Shh it's okay my wee girl" Jack soothes.

Nikki rolls her eyes at Jack and sits with her arms folded while she watches Jack trying to sooth Poppy. She smirks to herself knowing Poppy doesn't settle as well as she does for Nikki.
Jack holds Poppy against his chest but she cries and coughs and tries to wriggle free of his arms. "Come on Pops," Jack says rubbing her back gently to try and help with the bad cough.

A few people start to huff and look at Jack because of Poppy being loud, "I know darling" He soothes kissing her forehead. Poppy leans over his arms and reaches out for Nikki.

"Here let me have her" Nikki smiles.
Jack huffs and hands Poppy back to her Mum, both oblivious but the woman sitting beside them has been watching them closely, "Aww bless her, she wants her Mum" The old lady speaks who has a blood-drenched eye patch on.

"Sorry, She's not well at all... she is usually quiet" Nikki speaks hoping to reason with the old lady.
"Don't worry about it, I've been there with all my children" She speaks politely.

Nikki smiles and switches Poppy into the other arm and gently rocks her, she gently pats Poppy's back slowly too. "She's my first" Nikki explains with a smile as she looks up at Jack who is pacing.

"Jack please... just sit down, you're doing my head in!" Nikki huffs as she can't take much more of his pacing.

"Fine, I'm going to get coffee" He huffs and walks off leaving Nikki with Poppy and the old lady sitting next to her.

Nikki sighs and looks down at Poppy lying in her arms. "My name is Dora... Are you two okay?" The old speaks.

She nods and kisses Poppy's head again, "Nikki, Yeah... just a rough patch" Nikki admits.
"Honestly dear, I had them with my Bernard, Don't let the sun go down on an argument, My Bernie past last year... we never let the sun go down on an argument" Dora smiles.

Poppy stirs in Nikki's arms, "Hey shh, Come on Poppy" Nikki smiles as she places the dummy in Poppy's mouth again.
"What a lovely name, Same name as my Granddaughter, so how old is she" Dora speaks trying to make conversation.

"She's eight months old" Nikki smiles knowing that Dora must feel lonely as she sat in A&E all alone.
"She's tiny!" Dora says stunned by the actual age of Poppy.

Soon Jack comes back to see Nikki still sat with Poppy in her arms, before approaching Nikki he walks to reception and asks the waiting time for the pediatrics A&E. Once he has found out the time he walks over to Nikki and sits beside her, moving her bag in the process.
"Half an hour wait but is she gets worse we are to tell them" Jack explains before getting his phone out and messing with it.