Cold Case

Once back at Nikki's house, she puts Poppy down for in her Moses Basket and goes and makes herself a drink, Jack doesn't know what to do so just follows Nikki. "You can go sit down Jack, you don't have to follow me" She smiles as she turns the kettle on.
Jack continues to hover about, "So where are we going to sit?" He asks with a little cringe.

Nikki points to the kitchen table and smiles, Jack sits himself down and watches Nikki making herself a drink, "Tea of coffee?" She finally asks.
"Coffee would be nice" He replies and starts to mess with his phone, "Got an interesting case here if you want to have a look?" Jack smiles getting up the photos from the crime scene.

She smiles to herself as she has missed working and finishes off the drinks, Nikki brings them over and places them on her kitchen table. "Right what's happened?" She asks.

"Unknown female for far, found in the themes. Ligature marks to her hands and neck. Bruising to both thighs some fluid around the area, Clarissa is running tests just wanted your opinion" He smiles knowing she'll think of something.
Nikki takes his phone and starts to read through the case notes and looks at the photos. "Wow someone didn't do a good job of hiding evidence," She says zooming in on a photo before dashing off to get her mac book.

She comes back and starts her laptop up, "I've seen this before... look same ligatures, but look closely there are nail marks, fresh at that. How long did you say the body was in the water for?" She asks.

"More than 6 hours" Jack replies waiting for Nikki to reply.
She thinks to herself and reads through some case files. "Look closely here. What do you see?" Nikki says as she zooms in on her laptop.

"Stab wound?" Jack says.
"Yes and now look at this, exact same wound, I bet you this was done by the same person," Nikki says trying to put a possible theory into place.
Jack looks closely at the two photos; the one on the laptop and the other on the phone, "But how long ago was this possible murder?" Jack asks.

"2012" she simply replies.
"But that was seven years ago, they can't be linked" Jack replies.
"it's a cold case, I checked the Lyell archives and its down as a cold case" she smiles.

He stands up and moves next to Nikki, he stands above her looks down at the laptop. "You're going to say the murders are linked and that the case should be re-opened?" Jack smiles and she nods.

"Call Thomas and let him know" She replies quickly.
Jack nods and searches his contacts to call Thomas, Nikki stands as she hears Poppy stirring in the lounge so goes through to check on her.

While Jack is on the phone to Thomas, Nikki changes Poppy's nappy and feeds her, she sits on the sofa feeding Poppy in a world of her own when Jack walks in after his phone call. "Thomas is going to try and get in touch with the DCI from that case and see if we can re-open the case, as you were lead to believe they're linked. Great thinking Nik" Jack smiles.

"Thanks, I do miss my work... I've had Poppy a week and I'm already going insane" Nikki laughs awkwardly as she realises Jack is watching Poppy being fed.

Jack sits himself down next to Nikki and smiles, He places his hand gently on her knee but Nikki moves her knee out the way. He sighs and waits until Nikki has finished feeding Poppy.
Anything else you could pick out from the photos I showed you?" Jack asks as he doesn't like that they have gone quiet.
"well, I could tell that there is some past bruising that looks like handprints? Maybe she was in an abusive relationship" Nikki suggests and Jack takes notes for Clarissa and Thomas back at the Lyell.

"God, you're sexy when you talk like that" Jack accidentally says out loud.
Nikki blushes and pretends like she didn't hear him, she finishes feeding Poppy and then looks down at her as she adjusts herself again. She gently winds Poppy before lying her down in the Moses Basket and sitting back.

She sits there quietly keeping an eye on Poppy and also trying to avoid an awkward conversation with Jack. "Nik? Where's your bathroom?" Jack says as he stands.
"through into the hallway, door under the stairs" Nikki replies and Jack heads off in search of the toilet.

Once Jack's been to the toilet he comes back and sits back with Nikki, "So, What do you want for dinner?" He smiles making small talk.
"Not sure" She replies.

"Shall I cook for you or do you want takeaway?" He suggests.
"Not fussed," Nikki says.

Jack huffs and looks at Nikki, he takes her hands and continues to look at her, "Nikki, please! I can't suss you out right now. Please don't push me away" Jack sighs.
Nikki looks at him and then sits up before leaning against his chest, Jack rests his hand on Nikki's hip and gently strokes it.

"Takeaway would be nice" Nikki mumbles as she grabs a cushion and puts in on Jack's lap and makes herself more comfortable.

"Luckily I have my phone on me so I can order it from here because you're currently lying on my legs and if you haven't noticed Dr. Alexander I use my legs to walk" He jokes.

Jack flicks through her takeaway apps and reads them out to Nikki who seems really content lying on Jack's lap. "Chinese" She smiles happily.
"Okay let me guess, egg fried rice, spared ribs, chicken chow-mein, sweet and sour chicken?" He asks and Nikki nods.

"Yes sounds beautiful" she smiles happily and rolls onto her back so she's looking up at Jack.