Keeping it a Secret

Around two hours after her consultation, she heads into the Lyell to pick up some paperwork for her to continue at home. Nikki is messing through her filing cabinet when Clarissa comes into the room, "Lost something?" Clarissa speaks making Nikki jump. 

"Clarissa" She breathes shakily with her hand on her chest. 
Clarissa smiles and laughs slightly "What are you doing here on your day off?" Clarissa questions moving forwards. 

"Oh you know things to do... people to see, I had a few things I needed to do" Nikki speaks as she moves back to looking through the cabinet. Clarissa moves over to Nikki's desk and watches her before her gaze is brought to some notes on the desk. She then notices Nikki's name at the start of the letter and Clarissa can't help but read. 

"Nikki?" Clarissa speaks as she picks up the paperwork. 
Nikki turned around to see her letter from the hospital in Clarissa's hand, "Hey, that is private!" Nikki says loudly and snatches her letter back and places it in her handbag. 

"You've miscarried?" Clarissa says in shock. Nikki looks down at the floor before nodding slightly, "Does Jack know... oh god please tell me Jack knows, this will break him" Clarissa speaks.

"Please! I will tell him... just give me some time, please don't tell him this!" Nikki speaks swearing Clarissa to secrecy, Clarissa just nods hoping Nikki has a clear mind and knows what she is doing. 

Nikki soon heads home and is straight away faced by Jack who has Poppy in his arms. She walks up to the front door and smiles as Poppy calls her name, "Mama!" She squeals in delight happy to see her Mum. 

She walks up to the front door and strokes Poppy's cheek and kisses it. "Mamaaaaa!" She smiles reaching out to her. Nikki walks into the house and Jack shuts the door before passing Poppy over to Nikki. 

"Hello, baby girl" She smiles and kisses her cheek.  
Nikki kicks her heels off and heads into the lounge with Poppy and sits down on the sofa with her, instead of Poppy wriggling against Nikki to get down she cuddles into Nikki's side and remains next to her. 

Jack comes through with a cup of tea for Nikki and smiles at her, "How was your appointment?" Jack questions placing the drink down on the coffee table. 

He sits himself down and waits for Nikki's reply, "It was okay, just a long wait, they were behind with everything" Nikki replies deciding not to tell Jack just yet. 
Jack smiles and watches Poppy dozing with her one eye open against Nikki. 

"How do you fancy I cook for you tonight?" Jack suggests trying to attempt to get everything back on track with their relationship as quickly as possible. 

Nikki feels her heart sink knowing exactly what Jack is doing, "Errr... okay" She smiles awkwardly and looks down at Poppy and moves her carefully onto her lap and lets her sleep against her chest. 

"Poppy has already had her lunch, would you like anything?" He asks. 
"I'm fine" She replies as she gets up with Poppy sleeping against her shoulder and lies her down on her playmat. Nikki then leaves the room and heads into the dining room to start some work that she has brought home with her.