Shock to the System

"... I am sorry to announce that Dr. Nikki Alexander after 16 years has resigned from her position as pathologist. We have yet to get a replacement but we all need to work together to make the team work one person down" Thomas speaks as he alerts all the workers who work in the pathology department at the Lyell.

Jack and Clarissa faces drop in shock. "What?!" Jack says speaking his mind.

Jack rushes off and grabs his coat, phone and car keys and heads straight out the Lyell centre and gets in his car.  He pulls away and his phone starts to ring. He answers it while on speaker. "Hello?" He speaks.

"Jack where the hell did you go?" Clarissa speaks.

"I have to find out why she's doing this to us, I won't stop until she comes out the shadows, she's my friend" Jack replies and ends the calls as he floors the car and goes a bit quicker.

In no time her arrives at Nikki's, he gets out the car and locks the car. Before walking up to the front door and knocking the door several times.

Nikki comes down the stairs and sits on the stairs hoping he will leave. "Nikki open the door!" Jack says as he knocks the door frantically.

She slips down another step and tries to peer into the lounge to see if her daughter is alright with the noise.

"Nikki, I know you're there!" Jack says.

Nikki freezes and waits for him to leave. Then he pushes the better box open and peers in. "Nikki I can see your feet, please answer the door."

Realising he's not going to leave any time soon she gets up off the stairs and heads down a few and walks to the door and opens it.
"Oh my god you're alive!" He says with a sigh of relief.

He goes forwards to hug her and embraces her in a tight hug. "Hello" she smiles tiredly.

"Oh god you look rough... sorry Nik" Jack says with a sympathetic smile.

"I'm fine" she smiles.

"Why did you leave ?" He questions wanting to know all, "Why handed your resignation in over email!" Jack says trying to get through to her.

"Long story" she replies.

Jack just looks at her mesmerised. Eight months is along time to be away and he just wanted to look at her for ages. "You look so beautiful still" he smiles as Nikki stands in front of him arms crossed.

He had even forgotten how small Nikki was against him. "Thanks, not looking so bad yourself" she replies awkwardly.

Jack stands there staring into Nikki's eyes. Nikki then finds herself looking straight back into his eyes. Just like they had never been away they start to lean in, their lips lingering waiting for someone to make a move.

He then leans forwards and kisses her gently. "Your lips are so soft" he smiles as he goes to kiss her again. Nikki stands there arms still crossed in a baggy cardigan.

"Jack? This is wrong" Nikki says stepping away from him.

Jacks heart suddenly shatters and he finds himself lost for words before he finally finds something to say. "Why?"

"Look, things are complicated. I think you should leave!" Nikki says trying to get him out the door.

He suddenly hears a distant small sneeze and turns and looks at Nikki. "Who is here? Are you being help captive?" Jack whispers to her.

She shakes her head and Jack pushes past her wanting to find out who was with his potential girlfriend. "No Jack! No don't !" Nikki panics and follows after him kicking the front door shut.

"Whoever it is better L..." Jack says as he walks into the lounge and stops dead in his tracks as he sees a small baby lying in a Moses basket.

Nikki stands at the door of the lounge watching Jack react to the baby. "Oh" he mutters almost lost for words.

He steps forwards and goes in for a closer examination to make sure its real. "Yours?" Jack asks as he turns to look at Nikki.

Nikki nods awkwardly and waits for his reaction. Jack turns back to the baby and looks at her. "How old?"

"A week" she replies quietly.

"A week... a week" he laughs awkwardly then it sets in.

"Penny in the air" Nikki mutters to herself with a smile.

Jack stands over the Moses basket and looks at the baby and then like instinct he picks up the baby. "Penny drops" Nikki mutters again.

Jack turns around carefully with the baby and looks at Nikki. "What's her name?" He breaths shakily.

"Poppy" She replies warmly.

Jack shakes his head and then places Poppy against his chest and gently cuddles her, he smiles and kisses her head.

"Hello... Poppy, I'm... oh god... I'm your Daddy" Jack breaths shakily again.

Jack looks at Nikki who is just standing in the door way watching him.