School Reunion-Part 1

The following day-
Jack has just secured Poppy in the car seat and climbs into the car beside Nikki, she sets the satnav for Jack and they pull off the driveway. 
"You know we can always go home, we do have to go" Nikki speaks up halfway through the journey. 

"We are going to this Nik, are you nervous or something?" Jack questions as he stops the car in a queue at the traffic lights. 

Nikki looks down at her lap and Jack moves his one hand to her knee and gives it a squeeze, "I'm fine Jack, let's just say I haven't spoken to anyone from school since the day I left" Nikki replies. 

"Well neither have I, my school was in Belfast... can't see me going to a reunion any time soon" Jack smiles. 

Nikki nods and takes a deep breath. Before long they arrive at the school and Jack pulls up into a spare parking space. 
Nikki gets out the car and walks around to Poppy's side and gets her out the car. Nikki takes a deep breath as she looks up at the school building and places Poppy against her hip at the same time. 

"See we're not the only people to bring their children" Jack smiles noticing a woman walking with her child in hand skipping merrily. 

Nikki breathes a slight sigh of relief as she watches Jack lock the door and come to her side, they walk towards the sports hall entrance and wait in a small queue. 

They soon come to the front of the queue and are met by a young girl dressed in the school uniform. "Hello, may I take a name, please" the young girl smiles. 
"Erm... of course, Nicola Alexander" She replies. 

The young girl messes on the Ipad in her hand and then hands Nikki a visitors pass, Nikki places the lanyard around her neck and waits for Jack to be signed in as a plus-one. 
Nikki continues to carry Poppy into the sports hall, "So what are we meant to do now?" Jack questions.

"I for once have no clue" Nikki replies as she tries to stop Poppy from chewing the visitor's lanyard she is currently wearing. 
Jack stands close to Nikki near the wall as they both look around the sports hall, "So do you see anyone you know?" Jack questions as he moves her hair from her neck. 

"Jack!" Nikki warns as she knows he is about to kiss her neck.
Suddenly Nikki's name is called and Nikki turns to her left and looks around, A young woman who is around the same age and a little taller than Nikki approaches them. "Nikki Alexander? is that you? You haven't changed a bit" The woman beams as she walks towards her. 

"Hi" Nikki replies awkwardly as she can't remember the name of the person before her. 
"Do you remember me? It's me Mel, Melissa Tisdale... well it's Carter now it's been a while since I was 'Tisdale'. We used to do athletics after school and walk the long way home" She smiles at Nikki. 

"Oh sorry, Yes I remember" Nikki smiles as she turns to Jack and passes Poppy over to him. "How are things?" Nikki smiles as she starts to get into a conversation with Melissa. 

"Oh you know the usual, I'm married, working a 9-5 job at Sainsbury's... not exactly glamorous, now what about you... you look like you've been busy" Mel smiles. 

Nikki smiles as they both sit down at a table, Jack shortly follows behind and brings them two cups of tea over, once balanced on top of another. "Busy yes, I'm a Forensic Pathologist now, Currently working for the home office..." She begins. 

"Oh I wondered if you had, always recall you wanting to dig up our friend's dead animals" Mel laughs which causes Nikki to blush.
"Yes I was a little crazy back then" She laughs. 

Jack smirks and laughs sightly as he heads the conversation. "So tell me more" Mel smiles and leans in closer to hear what Nikki has been up to. 

"I've been working with the home office for a good fifteen years now, Only now have I found the man on my dreams... well I shouldn't say that when I first met him he was arrogant and big headed... But I've worked my magic with him, he's under my spell" She giggles. 

Mel smiles and looks at Jack, "He's not bad looking if I do say so myself."
Nikki laughs and looks at Jack, "It's a good thing I bloody love you, she is actually under my spell" Jack smirks.
"Oh and an Irish accent... definitely not bad, my partner is from Birmingham" Mel smiles. 

Nikki looks at Poppy who has her arms stretched up to her. She lifts up Poppy and places her on her lap, "And this is my pride and joy, Poppy" Nikki smiles as she places a kiss on Poppy's head. 

"She's gorgeous" Mel smiles. 
"Isn't she just, she has just turned seven months old" Nikki replies with a smile. 
"Any more?" Mel questions as she wonders if Nikki and Jack have other children. 

Nikki shakes her head and smiles, "No, unfortunately... Just Poppy, we do plan on having more children in the future" Jack butts in and Nikki looks at him stunned. 

"Oh really, we haven't discussed this properly" Nikki smirks and picks up her cup of tea and sips it. Nikki adjusts Poppy on her lap as she keeps slithering down as she wants to be put on the floor so she can crawl but Nikki won't allow her.