Overreacting

Poppy is now a month old and things are still tough for Nikki who is still getting to grips with becoming a parent. As much as she is enjoying her time away from work Nikki hates not working and being active all the time. 

Nikki its on the sofa crying to soothe Poppy how hasn't been very well recently, with cold-like symptoms and high temperature. "Look, Jack, don't you think I should take her to the doctors? what if there is something seriously wrong" Nikki replies. 

Jack smiles and kisses her forehead, "You're overrating Nik, you heard what the health visitor said, She's just got a cold" Jack smiles, he rests his arms on her back of the sofa and watches Poppy in Nikki's arms. 

"Hey, shh Poppy... there is no need for all this crying," Nikki says as she kisses Poppy's head. Jack moves his hand to Nikki's shoulder and watches. 

"She'll settle soon" Jack replies. 

"Jack its half eight, she has been crying since 6... I'm sure the neighbors are loving this" Nikki huffs.

He smiles sympathetically and plays with one curl in Nikki's hair. "Look, she can have more calpol in an hour, right?" He says as he looks at the time on her phone. 

"Yeah, but I don't want to keep dosing her up on it" Nikki responds. 
"Take her for a walk later, The fresh air usually knocks her out" Jack smiles and Nikki rolls her eyes. 
"Jack... stop suggesting something and help!" Nikki grits her teeth provoked by Jack's attempt. 

Jack stands up and walks around the sofa, he crouches in front of Nikki who looks at wit's end. "I'm Sorry Nik, I need to go to work..." He breathes. 
He takes hold of her hand and strokes it gently, "Promise you, as soon as I get home I shall have her for a couple of hours and you can do 'Nikki things', have a bath, read a book, lie down, eat food, drink wine... anything you want" He smiles reassuringly. 

They both look at each other and Nikki gives a slight nod, that was one thing she wished for was to be alone and child-free for just an hour. "Right Nik, I better go" He stands and leans forward, he then gently kisses Nikki's head and looks down at Poppy, he leans forward and kisses Poppy's head. 
"Okay, see you later," Jack says while leaving the room and heading out the door and makes his way to the Lyell.  

Nikki sighs and stands up with Poppy, "Come on baby" She sighs as she rests her against her chest and bounces Poppy gently. 

Nikki paces the room singing to her for fifteen minutes before Poppy finally starts to fall asleep, she decides to place Poppy on her sensory mat and let her sleep on there instead. She gets up and walks out of the room and sits on the floor in the hall away, she rests her head in her hands. 

After a while of being sat on the floor she starts to go numb so gets up and walks into the kitchen, she picks up a cup and places it in the dishwasher. Nikki doesn't know what to do with herself, she felt without purpose. 

Soon she sits herself down with a cup of tea and starts to relax, Just as she goes to sip her tea she hears Poppy crying. Nikki waits a moment but she doesn't settle so she goes to check on Poppy. She picks up Poppy and tries to soothe her, "Shh okay," Nikki says bouncing her slightly. 

She decides to get the nappy bag out and change her, Nikki lies Poppy on the changing mat and changes her nappy. "Oh god... that's" a mess" Nikki sighs as she gets a few wipes and starts to clean Poppy. 

Nikki gently lifts Poppy's legs and sighs as she sees its gone up to her back, "Fuck sake child!" Nikki huffs as she lifts her up carefully and takes her upstairs once she has cleaned up. 

Nikki runs a bath for Poppy and places her baby mat in the bath, "You're miserable today" She mumbles as she undresses Poppy completely. Once the bath is at the right temperature Nikki lies Poppy on the bathing mat in the bath.
She starts to bath Poppy, but Poppy just constantly cries making Nikki rush the bathing as she thinks there is something wrong. 

Once out of the bath Nikki wraps Poppy up in a towel and carries her through to the bedroom, She dresses Poppy and then lies down on the bed with Poppy on her chest. She is soon to calm down and Nikki feels a sense of relief. 

Nikki manages to reach for her phone without stirring Poppy and calls Jack, "Jack?" Nikki sighs as he answers the phone almost immediately. 
"Nik? what's up?" He asks noticing a different tone in her voice. 
"Just wanted a chat" Nikki replies. 

"Nikki, I'm working... can it wait?" Jack questions. 

She sighs and looks up at the ceiling, "Fine" She mumbles and ends the call. 
Nikki hated not being able to talk to someone other than Poppy, there was only so much baby talk she could take.  

Jack puts his phone down and sighs, "What's wrong Jack?" Clarissa asks noticing his co-worker's sudden mood change.

"Nikki" He replies. 
"Trouble in paradise?" She smirks. 
"No, She keeps calling me while I'm working... She won't leave me alone" Jack replies. 

Clarissa moves closer and leans in, "Jack she's probably lonely, You're here acting like the action-man and Nikki is at home, dealing with your daughter... Baby sick, nappies and crying" She smiles. 

Jack stops and thinks to himself, "Lonely? she never seems to be."

"Jack... When did Nikki Alexander really show any true emotion?" She smiles.

"Do you think I should talk to her?" Jack questions and Clarissa nods.