Time Will Tell

Soon, Nikki arrives at the Lyell and gets Poppy out of the car and heads inside straight away, She carries Poppy straight into her office and shuts the door behind her and quickly changes Poppy's nappy and then places her on the floor while Nikki files the court case evidence. 
Poppy crawls over to Nikki's feet and whines as she attempts to stand herself up pulling at Nikki's tights and skirt. She looks down at Poppy who starts to cry at her, "Oh you are such a drama queen" Nikki laughs lifting her up and holding her against her hip as she moves a few more files into the cabinet. 
"No Poppy, Mummy doesn't want her hair pulled, Poppy!" Nikki warns as she puts a file down and attempts to free her hair. 

Poppy screams at the top of her lungs at Nikki remove her hair from Poppy's grasp. "Be quiet, child!" Nikki huffs placing Poppy back down on the floor. 
Poppy instantly starts to scream and kick her legs frantically, she flips onto her stomach and cries as long and loud as she can but Nikki gives her no attention at all. 
"Scream all you like, I'm giving you no attention" Nikki mutters as she flicks through a file. 

Meanwhile, Jack and Clarissa enter the offices and hear the sound of a child crying, "Am I going crazy or can I hear a child?" Clarissa questions as she goes over to her desk. 

"I can hear that too..." Jack speaks as he looks around, he notices Nikki in her office with the door closed and then wonders if she's got Poppy with her. He braves it and walks over to her office door and knocks it gently, he peers down at the floor to see Poppy lying on the floor kicking her arms and legs and cry at the top of her lungs. 

Nikki looks across at Jack and then puts a file down before lifting Poppy up and carrying her to the door, she opens it and looks at Jack with a blank expression on her face. 
"Can I help?" She asks bouncing Poppy on her hip attempting to soothe her. 

"I thought I could hear this wee one, I thought I would come and see her" Jack smiles as he looks Nikki dead in the eyes. Poppy chews her fist and looks at Jack, her tears streaming down her face, her nose full of snot and dribble all down her chin and top, "Why isn't she in the nursery?" Jack questions. 

"She's ill" Nikki replies simply and turns back around with Poppy still against her hip and carries on sorting the cabinet out. 

"Here let me have her for a while" Jack smiles hoping Nikki will hand her over for a while. 
"I'm fine" She replies simply and sways slightly as Poppy slowly calms down and keeps her gaze fixed on her Dad. 

Jack smiles and Poppy replies back with a cheeky grin, Poppy then rests her head against Nikki's shoulder and continues to gaze at Jack, "Da" She mumbles. 
Jack smiles even more at his daughters attempt to call his name, she frowns slightly before burping, "Oh dear" Jack coos. 

Suddenly Poppy burps again and is sick down Nikki's back, "Oh shit, not again Pops" Nikki sighs as she is slightly stuck. 
"Here let me have her and you go get cleaned up" Jack suggests as he holds his arms out, Nikki has no choice but to hand Poppy over and remove her jacket. 

Jack reaches into Nikki's handbag and pulls out the baby wipes and gets to work mopping Poppy up, Nikki had to admit she was missing Jack for these reasons. "Thanks" Nikki speaks. 

"There we go all cleaned up" Jack coos and strokes Poppy's thin dark blonde hair. 
Nikki smiles slightly more than usual as she watches Jack lean Poppy back into his arms and cradles her like a baby, he sings ever so quietly to her and she eventually falls asleep. 
"You know Nik, if you wanted tonight I could come round... wait don't jump the gun, and watch Poppy and you have some 'me time'... what do you say?" He smirks. 

Nikki smiles as she knows some time to herself would be just heaven for her, she even felt slightly comfortable that Jack would be in the house. SHe hated being home alone ever since Mexico. Even when she woke to have nightmares about Mexico she had Jack to cuddle into and make her feel safe, but for the past month, she had nothing. 
"Jack this may sound insane... but I would like to make a go of things again" She speaks softly. "Build our trust back up?" She suggests. 

Jack smiles humbly and nods, "Can I crash on the sofa then? I hate sofa surfing at Clarissa's it's so awkward even though we've been friends for years" Jack smiles causing Nikki to break a proper smile at him. 

"Just one thing... If you're coming home, I need you to look after Poppy tomorrow morning" Nikki replies and Jack raises an eyebrow wondering where she is going, "I have a Doctor's appointment" Nikki breathes and Jack smiles with a nod not bothering to question it.