Overload

Summary:

A series of bad events lead up to Peter having a sensory overload at school. Someone no one expected has to come to the school to help the suffering teenager.

Uh. My head hurts.

I sit up in my bed. The light's too bright, I can hear all the way down the street, my skin feels like needles are poking into it. It's a sensory overload. I have school. I can't miss school.

"KID! GET UP!" My Dad yells through my door. I groan. His voice rattles around in my head.

I drag myself off my bed and change. I grab a pair of soft sweatpants and a Captain America sweatshirt that Steve got for me. I jam my feet into my tennis shoes and drag myself down the hall to the elevator. FRIDAY takes me down to the communal floor.

The door opens and I step out. Instantly I want to step back into the elevator.

"TONY!" Steve yells.

"WHAT?" Tony yells back.

I wince. What did Dad do now.

"DON'T WHAT ME! YOU KNOW WHAT!"

"I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING!"

"TONY I'M GOING TO KILL YOU!"

"OKAY I'M SORRY. I'M SORRY FOR PAINTING YOUR SHIELD WITH GLITTER GLUE!"

"You'd better be."

I shake my head at their antics.

"Dad?"

"In here Underoos." I hear my Dad call from the living room. 

"Why did you paint Cap's Shield with glitter glue?"

"I felt like it. Now get on. Happy can't drive you to school today. You're gonna have to walk."

I give my Dad a hug. "Bye Dad. By Steve. See you guys later." I get into the elevator and it takes me down to the first floor.

I step outside the doors and my senses are assaulted.

The light is too bright, the wind hurts when it blows against my skin, the smells are assaulting my nose. Everything hurts.

Today is going to be a day that my senses are dialed up from eleven to twenty to twenty-two.

It's gonna be hard. I would stay home but I can't miss any more school.

I run to the school. I get there and walk inside. Ned meets up with me at my locker.

"HEY PETER!" Ned says in a regular voice. To my enhanced senses it sounds like he just yelled in my ear using a megaphone. I wince. Ned catches the wince. "HEY PETER ARE YOU OKAY?"

"I'm fine. It's just that my senses are dialed up. It sounds like you're yelling directly into my ear."

"Sorry!" Ned whispers. "Why are you at school? Why aren't you back at the tower?"