Closer (Part 16) - attack

The rest of my Saturday is spent in the dance studio preparing for my recital on Thursday

The rest of my Saturday is spent in the dance studio preparing for my recital on Thursday. My dance career depends on this night, since talent agents from the  staff will be there. But, I'm totally out of it. My minds on the Seth situation, and Jay's sudden decision to leave my house without a goodbye. Normally, it wouldn't affect me as much, but I thought it was weird after everything that had happened last night.

The next morning, I decide to go walk to the park nearby. I don't feel like hanging out with anyone today. I'm just not in the mood. Okay, that was a lie. I knew who I wanted to see but I knew it wasn't okay to march over to Seth's house, who I was still upset at, to just see his friend.

Music is blasting in my ears and I feel the cool fall breeze start to arrive in Ohio. Suddenly, I squint to see only one other figure in the park shooting hoops.

No, it can't be? The one person I was somehow hoping to see was in the same park as me.

I exhale before calling his name. Why isn't he turning around? I realize he also has headphones in his ears. I decide to sneak up on him, tapping his shoulders.

He automatically tenses up before turning around with his fist in the air. The cold dark eyes are back and in that moment, he somewhat reminds me of a beast, so monsterous. His face softens as soon as he realizes it's me and his fist drops after I've already let out a scream of terror.

"Jay WHAT THE HELL?" I cried out, stumbling backwards. Yes, thats right. The ballerina was losing her ballance again.

His arm reaches out to keep me stable, but I slap it away, still shocked at the Jay I saw. His eyebrows furrow in disappointment, seeing that I'm kinda scared of him.

I study at the figure towering over me. The little sweat on his forehead glistens almost making him look like Edward Cullen. His Adidas outfit without shirt sleeves show his beautiful tan biceps.

"You don't go creeping up on people like that," his jaw clenches. His eyes are still dark as night.

"What kinda reaction was that anyways?" I yell, throwing my arms in the air.

"It's called self defense"

"Who's gonna attack you in the middle of daylight at the park?" I spit out, crossing my arms.

Suddenly, I hear him chuckle over me. But, its a dark laugh. A pitied one. "Oh, Ella. You're so naive. Anything and everything can happen in the daylight"

He makes me feel like I'm clueless and like there's more to this, besides him just being a smartass, filling me in on our fucked up world.

"What do you know about that?"

"Enough," he simply says.

"Tell me"

"No," he growls, staring down at me.

Thats all he has to say? Okay fine, I don't wanna hang with you either.

I scoff and turn around to make my way back home before I feel his hand lightly grab my wrist. He spins me back around almost with too much speed, causing me to slightly crash into his chest. My eyes are glued to his chest, and I gulp before looking up into his, and see that his eyes have once again brightened up.

"Wait," he demands softly. (can u demand something softly? bitch idk keep reading bye hahah) "I'm sorry for scaring you. The last thing I want is for you to be afraid of me"

This is what I mean. The change of behavior, how he can to from one mood to another in seconds. It was getting to be too much. But, at the same time I wanted to know every side.

"Well, then tell me why you reacted like that"

"I can't"

"You can't or you won't"

"Both," he admits. He feels me automatically pull away from him when he senses that I'm not okay with his bullshit answer. "Trust me, just please for now"

I bore into his eyes and close my mouth before deciding, "Okay for now. But I'll get it out of you eventually"

He opts to say nothing more to the topic while following me to the swings.

"Why did you leave yesterday without a goodbye or anything?" I ask.

"You always have some type of question to ask," he laughs, throwing his head back.

"Yeah I'm a curious person," I shrug. "Now tell me"

"I don't know. It wasn't a big deal. You and Seth were busy. Violet and Yazmin were just complaining about their hangovers. I didn't feel like going home with Seth," he replies, with no emotion whatsoever.

I nod, not having anything to say to that. We each sit on one and it's quiet for a few minutes, but comfortable.

I hear him clear his voice and my head jerks from staring at the field to him. "So, you forgave him," he states.

"I mean, it wasn't okay. But I'm not gonna end my relationship and screw up everything because of one mistake," I shrug.

I see Jay quickly get up off the swing and go in front of me with his back towards me. I can't get any reaction from my answer. Seconds later, he turns around and gives me a small smile.

"Yeah, he's been talking about it home nonstop and he really is sorry," he says. "You did the right thing"

"Yeah," I trail off.

"I gotta go," he mumbles, stuffing his hands in his pockets. "Come on. I'll walk you to your house and go back to Seth's"

I scramble up from the swing and we make our way towards my house which isnt far. "I can drive you home?" I offer.

"No, I'm fine walking, thanks"

We end up on my front yard and I realize that my dad's Porsche is parked out front which means they've both arrived back home.

I look up at Jay who's looking past me. And we both awkardly shift around not really knowing how to say goodbye to each other. I decide to make a step towards him to hug him goodbye. I mean, we're friends right, its okay?

As I do that, he clears his throat and gives me his infamous emotionless smirk. "See you at school," he says before jogging back home.

I stand there, starstruck and annoyed by the confusion I was feeling. At the same time, I watch him jog effortlessly, becoming smaller and smaller before he's gone.

Going up the porch, I inhale, calming myself before seeing my toxic parents.

"Who was that?" I hear my mom say sternly as I open the door.

Oh, hey mom good to see you as well..

I open my mouth up to reply but of course she doesn't let me reply. "What are you doing with that stranger. Who is he?"

I roll my eyes. "Thats Jay, Seths friend. I told you"

My dad was passed out on the couch with a newspaper in his hands and their unopened luggages around them.

"Hmm, he looks very familiar to me and not in a good way. Anyways you shouldn't be hanging with boys alone with a boyfriend. What will the town think of you and of us. Honey, image is the most important thing," she blabs.

I can't believe her right now. She always looks for something to say in order to look down on me, but won't bother giving her only daughter the time of day. I scoff, and make my way up the stairs before slamming the door.

This weekend sucked. I was pissed at Seth, Jay and now my parents.

Honestly, for the first time, I was excited about going to school tomorrow to see my best friends and be away from my shitty parents. Tomorrow was a new day with hopefully new luck.